Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Custom Pages

MarkMark Vanilla Staff
edited March 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Custom Pages

Comments

• It looks awesome tried to install it but i dont understand the instructions mabey give more detail some time when you get the chance?
  • yes even I am not understanding how to download it and use.
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    It is a bit confusing, I realize. We will have something nicer with the final release of Vanilla that is all GUI.
  • well, guys, you need to use FTP to edit the pages, as it explained
  • RaizeRaize vancouver ✭✭
    This works great with RC2, thanks @Mark for providing it. The instructions are pretty straight forward if your familiar with HTML. Here's how to use it:

1) Install and activate the plugin as usual.
    2) After activation, use ftp to navigate to the folder "yoursite.com/plugins/custompages/pages/"
    3) In that folder, there is a php file called "default.php"
    4) Create a copy of that file and rename it to whatever you like (leave it in the same folder).
    5) Open up your newly created file in a text editor (I always use notepad).
    6) Edit the content however you like (easy if you know html).
    7) Save.
    8) Url to your new page will be located at "http://yoursite.com/plugin/page/pagenamehere"

Simple, really...the best part is that all works with no errors. The even better part is that this type of plugin has unlimited potential, because you can embed all sorts of neat things in your page, like music, videos, pictures, a twitter feed, whatever you want. If your really desperate you can even use an iframe to embed part of another webpage into your page. Cheers!
  • I love this plugin, it helped me out a lot. But is there any way to display the side panel on these custom pages?
  • oliverraduneroliverraduner Contributing to Vanilla since 2010 Switzerland ✭✭
    edited February 2011
    (I always use notepad)
    @Raize You must be kidding :)

But beside that: thanks for the simple instructions! worked like a charm...
  • oliverraduneroliverraduner Contributing to Vanilla since 2010 Switzerland ✭✭
    Here is how you can create a "nice" URL for your custom page

This assumes, you have already created a custom page as of @Raize 's instructions!
    1. Go to the dashboard
    2. In the very bottom, click on the "Routes" menu
    3. Add a new route with the following information
      • Expression: what you will see in the URL bar - f.eg. "about"
      • Target: path to your custom page - f.eg. "/plugin/page/about"
      • Type: internal
    Now you can access your custom page via http://yourforum.com/about/
    (or if you have a webroot, via http://yourforum.com/forum/about/)
  • @Raize

I've got all of that, and the page works, but is there any way I can add a Nav bar link to the new page? Like beside the Inbox?

• edited April 2011
    OK
  • @Mark The full GUI release of Vanilla will be awesome. Any idea when this will be happening?
  • Hi, well followed the examples as told by raize and oliver, but i still cant get any custom page to show. I understand that it isnt as polished as a cms system, but i NEED a custom page to show, for the forum rules.

I have tried other things to do this (creating an html page ect) but so far nothing has worked. Is there anyway i can do this?
  • Hi, I was successfully able to add a custom page to my website. But I still can't figure our a way to add multiple custom pages using this plugin.

Thanks.

• sahotataransahotataran Developer, Bay Area - CA ✭✭✭
    edited February 2012

Just keep on adding more pages with different names :) by copyin the original default.php :)

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• sahotataran said:
    Just keep on adding more pages with different names :) by copyin the original default.php :)

• imagekjl'k" alt="" />

• Love the sound of this plugin. Does anyone have a working example up that they wouldn't mind sharing?