Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Inserting page number (or buttons) next to title

FazFaz
edited February 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hi all.

Been running a VF based board for a few months now but one feature which, as far as I can see, is definitely missing, is having the page numbers referenced next to the page title on the main list. Alternatively, though the first is preferable, how can I easily implement a system to arrive at the last read post by the user? I've read a few threads but nothing looks particularly easy.

To put this into perspective, I have threads with 350 posts, and the post limit per page is set to the max (100), but despite this each user must scroll to the bottom of page one, then click page 3, then scroll to the bottom of that just to see the latest posts. This is infuriating.

Answers

• Lookup theme hooks/plugins in the documentation, then use this hook

public function Base_BeforeDiscussion($Sender){
        echo $Sender->Pager->ToString('more');
    }

grep is your friend.

• Not sure what exactly you're suggesting here. Can't find anything on hooks in the documentation, wouldn't have the first idea where to place this code!

• sahotataransahotataran Developer, Bay Area - CA ✭✭✭

look for events here

events are hooked into themes and plugins. you need to go through these events and how they are hooked!

they are discussed all over this forum - just search for events or hooks

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Ok that looks far from easy so I will have to have a look later in the week.

Just spent an hour trying to remove a border from around my categories which randomly appeared after updating to 2.0.18. It's still there and I'm none the wiser.

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@Faz

Use something like Firebug in Firefox to inspect the border element to see what is calling it.

• Exactly what I was doing, yet I can't find the element in any of the three linked CSS files. I must be a total tool or something but I can't figure it out. There's no way Vanilla is caching the theme is there? It's not locally caching.

• sahotataransahotataran Developer, Bay Area - CA ✭✭✭

it caches in /cache folder. you can try clearing the .ini files from that folder

• 422422 Developer MVP

Try new firefox 10 you can use new firebug and the inspect (q) link

• hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

to the original question: if a user is logged in, clicking on the discussion in the discussions list should always take you to the first unread post. it should not take you to page 1 each time.

• 422422 Developer MVP
    edited February 2012

Shouldnt it intrinsicly goto "last read" though

• FazFaz
    edited February 2012

hbf said:
    to the original question: if a user is logged in, clicking on the discussion in the discussions list should always take you to the first unread post. it should not take you to page 1 each time.

This is not the case and never has been for me!

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@Faz

Then something somewhere is wrong with your setup.

Our forum directs users to the last read post automatically, and I'm sure that is the normal default Vanilla behaviour.

• FazFaz
    edited February 2012

Even over multiple pages?

edit: just literally worked out what it is; Voting Plugin. Disabled it directs to the last read post. But I really want it enabled. Will have to have a look at the code tomorrow and try to work it through.

• hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

Faz said:
    Even over multiple pages?

edit: just literally worked out what it is; Voting Plugin. Disabled it directs to the last read post. But I really want it enabled. Will have to have a look at the code tomorrow and try to work it through.

interesting. i dont use voting so im not sure of the issue, but i believe voting allows for some alternative sorting methods, that could lead to an answer

• Yes it does as it allows you to list them by vote as well as date posted. Thus you wouldn't want to see the last post as it might not be the best one. I can understand it, but it's infuriating.