Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Is it possible to rename index.php? removing index.php?

2»

Answers

• @Barion

1. If you embed Vanilla into Joomla, you and your users won't see any change in URL. Unless they take a peek at your html source file. That's why it's called embedding. When you embed a youtube video into a page in your site, do you have to type http://yoursite.com/youtube/ into the browser address bar?

2. You don't have to name your Vanilla folder as "forum", you could use any word. Be creative.

3. Your user will never access your vanilla folder directly. They will only access your Joomla yet they'll see the forum.

4. Putting Joomla and Vanilla into one folder is against the raison d'etre of the creation of "folder" in filesystem.

• edited February 2012

Ok everyone! you arrested me :)

@ Tim, x00, sahotataran, Jongos ...

Thanks

Jongos said:

If you embed Vanilla into Joomla, you and your users won't see any change in URL. Unless they take a peek at your html source file. That's why it's called embedding. ...They will only access your Joomla yet they'll see the forum.

That's right. I'm going to test "embed" addon.

Tim said:

YOU CANNOT REMOVE INDEX.PHP ...

YOU WILL BREAK VANILLA, END OF STORY

I'm not blind Tim. but your answer is clear!
    There is not any "full stop" on softwares stories.
    Tim! I know I can't remove it normally; I'm here for finding a procedure! I'm still curios about it! and I hope someone give me a clue for renaming/removing index.php! (though I found the best way for having both Joomla and Vanilla by that add-on).

Putting Joomla and Vanilla into one folder is against the raison d'etre of the creation of "folder" in filesystem.

here is there an "embed vanilla" add-on! what about phpBB/MyBB? (phpBB instigate me for merging on one folder)

x00 said:
    what is the link to the forum going to be?

It's not registerd yet; I'm thinking about www.scriptsforums.org or www.scriptsforum.org

• x00x00 MVP
    edited February 2012

@Barion Tim is one of the guys behind vanilla if he says you don't rename/remove it you don't rename/remove it. It is that simple. You are talking about force loading vanilla. if you don't understand the architecture behind index, bootstrap, dispatcher, MVC, forget about it.

As I said before pretty much everything goes through the index first, except for static resources.

We may be able to help you, but you have to explain what you want. If you want to embed vanilla, you create a joolma page, then use the embed code to embed it there. Make sense?

Another way is to create a link on you joolma page, then use routing so it resolves uri the way you want it. The physical location is not so important, so long as you are not conflicting with joolma.

grep is your friend.

• TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff

@Barion Here is a simplified version of index.php (removed performance testing stubs):

Unless you understand all of this code, I don't see why you would assume it was ok to remove it, and then keep insisting that it was the only way to get what you wanted. THAT is the reason we're reacting like this.

You've come in here and essentially asked: "Why can't I remove the most important file in Vanilla and have it still work?" Then when we say its foolish and impossible, you start comparing Vanilla to other forum software, as if it is somehow lacking, or wrong, for not doing this. Ridiculous.

A better way, as others have pointed out, is to use the BUILT IN 'Embed Vanilla' feature. Look into that.

An even MORE seamless way would be to use clever Rewrite Rules to keep vanilla in its own folder, but have it behave as if it was in the root folder. This is a very advanced topic and I don't have the patience to explain it.

At the end of the day it sounds like you're trying to run a website and a forum mashed together and are looking for a CMS. Why don't you check out Vanilla CMS instead of blindly chopping at our lovingly hand crafted source code with a blunt axe?

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• @Barion

This smells trollish.

• TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff

@NorthwestVeloSite I think I love you

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• sahotataransahotataran Developer, Bay Area - CA ✭✭✭

Love forum?????

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited February 2012

Technically this is possible, but not by removing index.php.

I have a crazy WordPress/Vanilla setup where they "share" the root directory. By this I mean that WordPress actually sits in a subfolder, and I use a whitelist in mod_rewrite to route traffic between the two. If the URL starts with a WordPress category name or is one of my specific whitelisted WordPress pages, route to WordPress. Otherwise, let Vanilla take it. If someone tries to visit WordPress with /subfolder in the name, strip /subfolder out of it. It's tricky to prevent an infinite loop. Trickier still to address all the edge cases and keep wp-admin working right.

I can't stress enough that this approach is a minefield and very technical. I just wanted to throw it out there as an option if you're desperate to make this work.

• why not have a short prefix or subdomain

• f.mysite.com/
    • mystite.com/~/

But honestly I think you are barking up the wrong tree. it doesn't matter what you want, it matters what your user want. Users like things clear.

• mysite.com/community
    • mysite.com/discussions
    • mysite.com/forums
    • mysite.com/support

are a lot clearer.

grep is your friend.