Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Embedded and SEO

edited February 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

is Embedding bad for SEO? I have checked "Force your forum to be viewed through the Remote Url"

Would search engines will be able to index somedomain.com/forums#/categories/general ??

Best Answers

• sahotataransahotataran Developer, Bay Area - CA ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

I think embedding is controlled through an iframe which is created through JavaScript.

So when search engine indexes it - it will only view JavaScript code and not individual pages.

My thoughts but not sure about it

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Answer ✓

again not sure. i have a little knowledge of SEO and answered you according to my knowledge. may be an seo expert may help you with it :)

• bh8vnbh8vn
    Answer ✓

This from Matt's blog:

IFrames are sometimes used to display content on web pages. Content displayed via iFrames may not be indexed and available to appear in Google's search results. We recommend that you avoid the use of iFrames to display content. If you do include iFrames, make sure to provide additional text-based links to the content they display, so that Googlebot can crawl and index this content.

So, give a links above the iframe so it's still good for google bot to crawl your site :)

• x00x00 MVP
    Answer ✓

For seo, forget about embedding, unless you don't care about seo.

It is not hard to style your forum appropriately, and use routing.

grep is your friend.

Answers

Answer ✓

I think embedding is controlled through an iframe which is created through JavaScript.

So when search engine indexes it - it will only view JavaScript code and not individual pages.

My thoughts but not sure about it

• Then embedding makes no sense in terms of SEO

Answer ✓

again not sure. i have a little knowledge of SEO and answered you according to my knowledge. may be an seo expert may help you with it :)

• bh8vnbh8vn
    Answer ✓

This from Matt's blog:

IFrames are sometimes used to display content on web pages. Content displayed via iFrames may not be indexed and available to appear in Google's search results. We recommend that you avoid the use of iFrames to display content. If you do include iFrames, make sure to provide additional text-based links to the content they display, so that Googlebot can crawl and index this content.

So, give a links above the iframe so it's still good for google bot to crawl your site :)

• x00x00 MVP
    Answer ✓

For seo, forget about embedding, unless you don't care about seo.

It is not hard to style your forum appropriately, and use routing.

grep is your friend.

• edited February 2012

@everyone

Is this good enough? http://www.defenceaviation.com/forums will search engines like it? Please see the link structure of the discussions I also used "Force your forum to be viewed through the Remote Url"