Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

NBBC (BBcode) alternatives for Vanilla 2.0.18.1?

TurbolegoTurbolego New
edited February 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

After reading some of the questions on the NBBC 1.0.2b plugin, i tried adding "$Configuration['Garden']['InputFormatter'] = 'BBCode';" to "/conf/config.php".

This did not work, so i'm guessing the 1.0.2b version of this plugin does not work for Vanilla 2.0.18.1?

If yes, then are there any alternatives to NBBC that will give my 2.0.18.1 forum the ability to use BBcode?

Thanks in advance.

Best Answers

• ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    Answer ✓

If you are good enough at programming you can create a plugin to add a custom BBCode tag to google maps.

If you can't do that then you can allow raw HTML, but I just don't recommend giving full HTML capabilities to your forum members.

Answer ✓

No problem. You should look at the NBBC plugin. It is very short and has a couple of custom tags in there which are pretty straightforward.

Answers

• If you change 'InputFormatter' to BBCode, you did allowed to use bbcode in your forum, nbbc just support some other bbcode, dear

• I deleted NBBC, but by simply adding that line of code I am able to still use BBC code (with button bar installed).

• TurbolegoTurbolego New
    edited February 2012

I tried using NBBC, but none of the buttons did anything, and typing codes like:

** test**

just showed "test" with double asterix's on each side...

Does anyone have working BBcode on their vanilla 2.0.18.1 forum?

• Yes, I do, but I'm not using NBBC (anymore). That line of code was all I needed, I deleted it afterwords because installing/enabling it did nothing.

• cappazushi said:
    Yes, I do, but I'm not using NBBC (anymore). That line of code was all I needed, I deleted it afterwords because installing/enabling it did nothing.

I have added this to my /conf/config.php file:

$Configuration['Garden']['InputFormatter'] = 'BBCode';

I still can't post any bbcodes.

• Btw the barebones BBCode parsing is very rudimentary, that is why if you re goign to use BBCode at all bet use something like NBBC.

grep is your friend.

**test** is not bbcode [b]test[/b] is bbcode.

• Required Applications ->
    Vanilla 2.0.2a

grep is your friend.

• x00 said:
    Btw the barebones BBCode parsing is very rudimentary, that is why if you re goign to use BBCode at all bet use something like NBBC.

I tried using NBBC, and i removed the WYSIWYG (CLEditor) -plugin, but the buttons over the text-field did nothing. I tried clicking the buttons for "bold" and marking text and clicking the "insert link" but nothing happened.

Todd said:
    **test** is not bbcode [b]test[/b] is bbcode.

i tried both.

x00 said:
    Required Applications ->
    Vanilla 2.0.2a

Turbolego said:
    This did not work, so i'm guessing the 1.0.2b version of this plugin does not work for Vanilla 2.0.18.1?

Alright, so the 1.0.2b version does not work for vanilla 2.0.18.1?

• not officially, you would have to ask Todd, to check out.

grep is your friend.

• x00 said:
    not officially, you would have to ask Todd, to check out.

alright, thanks.

pinging @Todd for a definitive answer.

We use nbbc on a bunch of 2.0.18.* forums and it works just fine. There's a newer version on github, but I don't think that will fix your particular problem.

First off, you seem to have a misunderstanding of what nbbc does and what the button bar does. All nbbc does is format bbcode messages as bbcode. There are no buttons that you click or anything like that. That's the button bar.

Second. You need to make sure your comments are actually bbcode. Maybe you misspelled the configuration setting. You need to look in the GDN_Comment and GDN_Discussion tables and see what the value of the Format column is. If it's BBCode then you should be good. Make sure you've capitalized it the same as I have here.

When you set your forum to BBCode it doesn't retroactively change the format of your old posts to BBCode so only new posts will be formatted that way.

• Todd said:
    We use nbbc on a bunch of 2.0.18.* forums and it works just fine. There's a newer version on github, but I don't think that will fix your particular problem.

First off, you seem to have a misunderstanding of what nbbc does and what the button bar does. All nbbc does is format bbcode messages as bbcode. There are no buttons that you click or anything like that. That's the button bar.

Second. You need to make sure your comments are actually bbcode. Maybe you misspelled the configuration setting. You need to look in the GDN_Comment and GDN_Discussion tables and see what the value of the Format column is. If it's BBCode then you should be good. Make sure you've capitalized it the same as I have here.

When you set your forum to BBCode it doesn't retroactively change the format of your old posts to BBCode so only new posts will be formatted that way.

The only occurrence i could find for "GDN_Comment" was on the bottom of: "/applications/vanilla/settings/structure.php"

// Moved this down here because it needs to run after GDN_Comment is created

if (!$LastDiscussionIDExists) {
    $SQL->Update('Category c')
    ->Join('Comment cm', 'c.LastCommentID = cm.CommentID')
    ->Set('c.LastDiscussionID', 'cm.DiscussionID', FALSE, FALSE)
    ->Put();
    }

I could not find any occurrence of "GDN_Discussion" in any file.

What do i do?

via Email
    GDN_Discussion and GDN_Comment are database tables. You have to look in those table using phpMyAdmin or your dbms of choice.
  • Todd said:
    GDN_Discussion and GDN_Comment are database tables. You have to look in those table using phpMyAdmin or your dbms of choice.

I went into phpMyAdmin, and i found the "Form" columns:

SELECT COUNT( * ) AS Rows , Format

FROM GDN_Discussion
    GROUP BY Format
    ORDER BY Format
    LIMIT 0 , 30

and

SELECT COUNT( * ) AS Rows , Format

FROM GDN_Comment
    GROUP BY Format
    ORDER BY Format
    LIMIT 0 , 30

both gives me

Rows Format

6 Html
    5 Raw

what now?

So it looks like you have the Allow Raw plugin enabled which means all of your posts as an administrator are in raw html.

I highly recommend you don't use this plugin. It's not for people that don't know html and is only applicable in a very narrow set of circumstances.

You also have some Html posts which means you either didn't set your config setting correctly or you set the config setting for BBCode after you made those posts.

• Todd said:
    So it looks like you have the Allow Raw plugin enabled which means all of your posts as an administrator are in raw html.

I highly recommend you don't use this plugin. It's not for people that don't know html and is only applicable in a very narrow set of circumstances.

You also have some Html posts which means you either didn't set your config setting correctly or you set the config setting for BBCode after you made those posts.

how can i post google maps that are essential to the forum and use bbcodes at the same time? does NBBC support google maps iframes?
    If not, how can i make a google maps BBcode tag for NBBC?

Do you know how to program?

• TurbolegoTurbolego New
    edited February 2012

Todd said:
    Do you know how to program?

a bit, yes, but i'm learning php right now...

However, if i cant't have both google maps (raw html) and BBcodes (NBBC) at the same time, i will chose google maps over bbcodes because it's more essential to my needs.

So, is it possible for me to program a google maps tag for NBBC and get rid of the raw html plugin?

Answer ✓

If you are good enough at programming you can create a plugin to add a custom BBCode tag to google maps.

If you can't do that then you can allow raw HTML, but I just don't recommend giving full HTML capabilities to your forum members.