Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Is it possible to import users from Wordpress?

OnlyAnExcuseOnlyAnExcuse ✭✭
edited February 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Without using the jsconnect method?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• x00x00 MVP
    edited February 2012 Answer ✓

of core it is technically possible but why would you want to you still have to authenticate?

You could also use proxy connect.

grep is your friend.

Answers

• x00x00 MVP
    edited February 2012 Answer ✓

of core it is technically possible but why would you want to you still have to authenticate?

You could also use proxy connect.

grep is your friend.

• Running BBPress 2 (plugin) so all users of the forum are Wordpress users. I'd retain my Wordpress account (for writing the blog) and move the others to Vanilla.

If users could log into vanilla with their old usernames and passwords without me keeping them on Wordpress that would make things easier for me and less hassle for them.

I could wipe the old system of all old users and that way I wouldn't need to keep them there until they logged onto Vanilla for the first time.

If it's not possible that's fine, just thought it may be.

I'm working on Vanilla as a definate replacement for BBPress so anything to make things as simple for my forum users and myself, the better.

• okay used BBPress importer to move users.

Set up a BBPress 1.1 forum on my server, and opted to use my Wordpress database for users when setting up - it contained all the users from my old BBPress 2 forum/BuddyPress.

I couldn't export forums/threads/posts from BBPress 2 so just getting the 170 users over would at least save some troubles!

The export wouldn't find 'users' table in the database - it was looking for 'bb_users' while the database was from Wordpress as 'wp_users'.

So to get around this, I went into PHPMyAdmin and exported the 'wp_users' table from my Wordpress installation to an SQL file.

I opened it in a text editor, changed two instances of 'wp_users' to 'bb_users' and then saved the SQL file - a small change from the suggestion in this thread

Inserted that into the BBPress database, and exported using the porter succesfully.

Now have to find a way of assigning permissions to everyone, but if anyone wishes to do what i did, use BBPress and a wee bit of SQL if you don't mind getting your hands dirty.