Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Change/Add profile picture -no option for members

OnlyAnExcuseOnlyAnExcuse ✭✭
edited March 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

My Vanilla install allows me (keyholder) to change my picture. However it doesn't allow members to do this.

Is there a permission which gives the users an option to change their picture?

Members signing up via Twitter adopt the avatar from there and can't change their picture either. There isn't an option on their profile.

Best Answer

• 422422 Developer MVP
    Answer ✓

Roles permissions in dashboard

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Answers

• 422422 Developer MVP
    Answer ✓

Roles permissions in dashboard

• Thanks 422 - but which one do I check? is it Profile > Edit?

• 422422 Developer MVP

actually I apologise this should be set by default.

• I thought so - did a forum import (BBPress) and all permissions were wiped so had to redo them.

Maybe that caused it? I'll try hunt for a fix.

• 422422 Developer MVP

Your uploads folder is chmod 777 isnt it? Must be if you can change your avatar

• yep, no issues with the uploads folder it's 777.

• jspautschjspautsch Themester ✭✭✭

Can regular users edit anything else in their profile? There should be an Edit my Account link, Preferences, etc.

• Yes, all options are there except Add/Change picture.

Here's a screenshot with my profile (keyholder) and one of my test account (as regular member)

• 422422 Developer MVP

Has that MEMBER authenticated their account by clicking in email ? to Activate ??

• 422422 Developer MVP

Also, perhaps disable ALL plugins and test until you find out the issue. I am betting its whosonline issue ( clash )

• Everyone's had to reset password to get access to the forum. That account in particular followed that route as it was transferred over.

I have the Gravatar plugin active and that profile does have one assigned. It appears when posting, but not in profile.

Another member has no gravatar on hers and she can't add an avatar either, neither can a profile I set up using Twitter to register.

I disabled Who's Online and Gravatar but the issue remained (on my test account). I'll try the others.

Funnily enough, the 'erralogin' account has a dashboard link, is it supposed to? it doesn't have a mod/admin/keyholder status.

One thread here said to delete 'userpics' folder from the uploads directory. i did, problem remained...

• 422422 Developer MVP

Does user have confirm email ticked , under users in dashboard.

Just a stab in the dark now

• I don't see 'confirm email' in the users area. The table of users says "Username Email Roles First Visit Last Visit Last IP Options"

That said I do have the option to change users' pics for them.

• 422422 Developer MVP

• Roles column just has the Member or other there. Blurred out IP and emails.

• 422422 Developer MVP

Me thinks you have a db column missing or malfunctioned during transport of users to new forum.

@x00 is probably best suited to answer this

• Magic. Hopefully he'll know a wee bit more but much thanks to you. I'll set up another vanilla forum and have a look at the database and see if I can notice any differences.

• 422422 Developer MVP
    edited March 2012

If its any benefit.

We upload ZIP to our filemanager in cPanel. ( Once only Job )

Then go in via cPanel > Filemanager > Unzip the forumzip eg vanilla_2.0.1.82.zip

Then setup dB

Then via ftp, change name of unzipped Forum Folder, to whatever. Do config stuff, and voila.

I can roll off hundreds of forums an hour if I want. Makes life much easier for doing dev work

• Cheers - shouldn't take too long to set one up. I do that way too as it's far quicker to unzip on server than load folder of hundreds of files up.

• OnlyAnExcuseOnlyAnExcuse ✭✭
    edited March 2012

In fact sorry, edited again. Was talking mince. Looking to see what's what here.