Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

embed code not working & NO definitive guide on FTP permissions!

edited March 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

My Vanilla 2 installation is working fine but the embedded view on my site produces the error:
Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /forum/vanilla-1/index.php on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

It was working fine until yesterday when a user signed up.

I'm thinking this may be a wrong setting on the FTP permissions on my server but what really bugs me is that there is absolutely no definitive advice on this site as to what settings each file on the server is supposed to be!

Anyway, I'm happy to be corrected, and advice as to the problem...

Tagged:

Answers

• 422422 Developer MVP
    edited March 2012

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Appreciate the sentiment but the question still stands - ftp permissions are not stated.

The READme covers it - but not definitively as I said. All that is stated is:

Try granting PHP write access to the following files & folders:
    /cache/*
    /conf/config.php (if this file doesn't exist, don't worry about it)
    /uploads/*

Come on!

777, 755 or what?

?

• edited March 2012

... and I'm not sure that even covers my issue....

It's something to do with the embed code....

• x00x00 MVP
    edited March 2012

you should set cache to 775. People are too quick to 777 everything, is is usually not necessary. 755 should be sufficient for anything that does need write access. Please make sure that the permissions are inherited by the contents of the folder.

grep is your friend.

• Thanks - but that's because the instructions here are deficient....

Anyway, my issue is unrelated as the embed code is the issue - something someone else has raised and been ignored...

• mate if you want help I would suggest changing your attitude. You have provided very little info. do you have a link?

grep is your friend.

• permissions are dependent on the system. They are sufficient to tell you where you need write access.

grep is your friend.

• 422422 Developer MVP

Apache rarely accepts 755

• x00x00 MVP
    edited March 2012

422 said:
    Apache rarely accepts 755

why do you say that? it is to do with the file system anyway.

just to give you an idea permission as low as 0644 are still running php on my system.
    They is becuase php is a an interpreted language, it doesn't need executable rights.

grep is your friend.

• 422422 Developer MVP
    edited March 2012

We ave run apache for yrs, and always wants 777 on write permissions. Global.

As opposed to 755 or 775 perhaps we should set via cpanel filemanager, could be smartftp issue

• x00x00 MVP
    edited March 2012

apcahe has the www-data user it need write permissions, for cache, the www-data should be set as owner/group

777 on everything? wow bad idea.

grep is your friend.

• I'm checking with my hosting provider but it does seem like the issue is with the embed code... so I've stuck the forum view in an ugly iframe for now...
    As for the lack of clarity regarding FTP settings (I was personally sure 777 is to be avoided) but the lack of clarity of expression speaks for itself.
    .... and no, I don't have an attitude issue, I thought this should be raised and clearly there is a clarity issue on here, and a previous post by another user has been left unanswered...

• TimWatt said:
    I thought this should be raised and clearly there is a clarity issue on here, and a previous post by another user has been left unanswered...

so what? you realise it is just people like yourself answering, not professional support. Maybe nobody had an answer.

You haven't answered my question.

grep is your friend.

• That's a big so what!

OK - then that's the knub of it then - if nobody with any insight or any care is reading this I'll give up.

... or at least come back later :-)

Your question is moot as I've removed the embed code which produced the error (see o.p.). Thanks anyway....

• x00x00 MVP
    edited March 2012

well if you hadn't maybe I could help you. I could analyse the request.

I suspect the url is not resolving in the embed code therefore it is not pointing to the right place. I would keep folder names simple alpha numeric.

without more info nobody is goign to have any insight.

grep is your friend.

• I suspect the url is not resolving in the embed code therefore it is not pointing to you folder.

No offence, for mine and others' benefit, I'd be grateful if you could rephrase that in proper English.

Thanks

• x00x00 MVP
    edited March 2012

i suspect the embed code does not find the correct address, for its iframe.

I can't tell unless I look at the site.

If you are manually inserting an iframe and it is 'resolving', there is no issue with permissions.

grep is your friend.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited March 2012

Be forewarned I have an extremely low tolerance for sarcastic remarks, if that is what was intended...

grep is your friend.

• 422422 Developer MVP

Back to 777...

My point was on apache , a folder that is required to be 775 or 755 generally produces an error, in writing to the file. I have to use 777.

Ive seen it a gazillion times tho, ... Eg.

Please set file permissions to 775 or on apache systems you may need to use 777.

• Nothing sarcastic at all - straightforward request for plain logical English seems fair enough to me, and is the communication issue at stake here.

Anyway, I've put back the failing embed code (beneath the working iframe).

The embed code contains the url http://stonesfield.info/forum/vanilla-1/plugins/embedvanilla/remote.js - which is the correct url for the script.

This script appears from the error code to want to redirect to /forum/vanilla-1/index.php - which is the correct url for the forum home page and works (as it does in an iFrame as said at the outset.

The errors states:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /forum/vanilla-1/index.php on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

My hosting company reports no issues - yet this was working fine for a while before yesterday.

I'm no further forward....