Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Has my hosting company installed the wrong version of Vanilla? How do I tell?

edited March 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hi,

I'm very much a novice with Vanilla. And indeed Wordpress.
I am hosting my Wordpress site using the hosting company iPage, which very conveniently provided a script to install Vanilla.

I ran this installation (a couple of months ago) and it reported Vanilla 2.0.18.1 was installing, and then that the installation was complete. Since then I have done some tailoring of colours, categories etc.

I've only just noticed that if I view "installed plugins" from the Wordpress dashboard, it shows unsurprisingly that Vanilla is one of the installed plugins, BUT under the 'description' heading, it shows the version to be 1.1.3

How do I determine which version of vanilla is installed? Is it possible that the installed in iPage installed the wrong one?

Thanks in anticipation.

Best Answers

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    Answer ✓

You're seeing the version number in WordPress? That's probably just the version number for the WordPress plugin, not of Vanilla itself.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    Answer ✓

I don't think that's possible. You'd need to look in the footer of the Vanilla Dashboard.

• jspautschjspautsch Themester ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

The Vanilla Dashboard within Vanilla itself, nothing to do with Wordpress. It's how you administer the forum and whatnot. If you're logged in as a forum administrator there should be a Dashboard link in the Vanilla navbar.

Answers

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    Answer ✓

You're seeing the version number in WordPress? That's probably just the version number for the WordPress plugin, not of Vanilla itself.

• Ah, I see; it hadn't occurred to me that these 2 version numbers might be different - I had assumed the number I see in Wordpress was the Vanilla version number.

Do you know how I can check, from inside Wordpress, what the Vanilla version number is?

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    Answer ✓

I don't think that's possible. You'd need to look in the footer of the Vanilla Dashboard.

• Vanilla is not a wordpress plugin. You can embed wordpres in vanilla maybe that is what you are talking about.

grep is your friend.

• Lincoln, when you say that the Vanilla version number is in the footer of the Vanilla dashboard, I'm not sure where you mean.

When I'm in the Wordpress dashboard, on the left of the screen is a column holding all the standard WP stuff :
    Dashboard
    Links
    Pages
    and at the bottom of this column there is a tab with "Vanilla Forum" on, and below that there are several more Vanilla-related tabs:
    Setup
    Forum Integration
    Comment Integration
    Widgets
    Single Sign-on

Is one of these the Vanilla Dashboard? Because I can't find a version number in any of these tabs.
    Or is it somewhere else?

Sorry I'm being so slow on this.

Also, even though Vanilla may not be a WP plugin, Vanilla does still show up in the list of installed plugins in the WP dashboard. Perhaps it shows up there after it's been embedded into WP.

• jspautschjspautsch Themester ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

The Vanilla Dashboard within Vanilla itself, nothing to do with Wordpress. It's how you administer the forum and whatnot. If you're logged in as a forum administrator there should be a Dashboard link in the Vanilla navbar.

• Thanks everyone. Got it at last - 2.0.18.1 I was thrown by the data by the Vanilla plugin notification in the list of installed plugins in the WP dashboard. Ho hum.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited March 2012

Vanilla is not a wordpress plugin. You can embed wordpres in vanilla maybe that is what you are talking about.

I meant the other way round, doh.

grep is your friend.

• No problem, x00, that's what I guessed you meant. And on this thread, the Dohs are all mine!

• Thanks everyone. Got it at last - 2.0.18.1

Read the announcements. 2.0.18.1 is not the latest version of Vanilla

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Thanks, I know. I feel I'm back to square one, which is fine. Will update to 2.0.18.2 next.

• 422422 Developer MVP

I think its 2.0.18.3

• DocH said:
    I feel I'm back to square one, which is fine

Nono, as long as you inform them of 2.0.18.3 it's fine. At least you have a host which installs this version for you, as far as I understood it.

2.0.18.3 just came out, so there's almost no way your hosting company could have known besides following our forum, RSS feeds, etc,etc