Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Accept / Reject answers

brainolutionbrainolution ✭✭
edited March 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I really like the idea behind this plugin and want to use it on my new forum, which is yet to go live. I noticed some potential problems with this plugin. Maybe I'm missing something, and you can correct me.

User A asks a question, and User B posts another related question on top of User A's question. Now before User A accepts / rejects User B's response, the admin splits the thread and moves User B's response to a new thread.

Now whenever User A accesses the forum, he keeps getting a pop-up notification "You've asked questions that now have answers. Make sure you accept/reject the answers.". But the answer is no longer available on the thread for User A to accept. Even if User A closes the popup, it keeps coming back very frequently.

In this situation, how would User A get rid of the pop-up?

Even otherwise, let's say User A has read the answer and is still verifying it, or trying to implement the solution given to him, the popup keeps nagging him.

Actually the second case is happening to me as I'm typing this message. I have an answer, but I need some time to verify it. As I'm typing this message, each time the draft is saved, this popup comes back.

Are my observations correct, or am I missing something here?

Thanks.

Best Answer

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP
    Answer ✓

@brainolution

Something similar happened to me, when a post was deleted from one of my threads.

The work-around was to get another user to post, then accept that answer.

That stopped the pop-up reappearing.

Answers

• hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

I think its all a clever plot to punish people for asking too many questions.

• @hbf - I like your answer but have to 'Reject' it just so I can get rid of this nagging popup :)

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP
    Answer ✓

@brainolution

Something similar happened to me, when a post was deleted from one of my threads.

• brainolutionbrainolution ✭✭
    edited March 2012

@whu606 Thanks for sharing your inputs.

I think that this plugin is a step in the right direction, and I really see a need for it on my forum. But it needs 2 improvements:

1. A better way to manage the reminders. Maybe an "Action" list could be used to track all the posts that have pending actions (Accept / Reject) for the user. The action list could be another tab on user's profile. As for the pop-up, I think it should not be "nagging" in nature, meaning once it is closed manually, it should not reappear for the same post.

2. An option to turn off "Reject" feature. Personally, rejecting an answer sounds rude to me. On the template that I'm using, rejected answers have a "Rejected Answer" label. Thankfully that's not the case on this forum. I need to hide that label.

I wish I had the skills to implement these ideas.

• lucluc ✭✭

whu606 said:
    @brainolution

But it does need to be fixed.
    I'm currently with the same issue :)

• ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff

I can see your first issue needing to be fixed, but it should be rare.

I also think we will be making a change to a future version of the plugin which turns accept reject to "Did this answer your question: yes no". As a side note, the "This answer was rejected" is only visible to moderators.

However, nagging the person that asked the question is very important.

• I agree that the first issue should be rare, because there should be a reason to split the topic, if there is only 1 post (opening post) and 1 comment, why would you want to split?

Usually the splitting begins when an ancient topic is bumped "to the top of the list" with a simple sentence of "I have the same problem, any news?" (sorry, offtopic).

I think it's also more the problem of the annoying popup that keeps coming up until you're accepted / rejected an answer.

There was an error rendering this rich post.