Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Uploading Plugins to GoDaddy

edited April 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hey everyone I have read countless forums for the last two days trying to figure this out myself before I posted the question so any help is really appreciated.

I have my vanilla forums on GoDaddy and I downloaded the plugin and uploaded to my FTP File Manager inside the plugins folder where all the other plugin are sitting. I then go to my dashboard inside the vanilla forum, check the plugins and nothing shows up.

Is anyone able to walk me through the process of simply installing a plugin?

Appreciate any help with this. Cheers Michael

Tagged:

Best Answer

• 422422 Developer MVP
    Answer ✓

no

You must UNZIP file .

Open the folder..

Upload contents ie... in the zip folder, there is a main folder called eg. dave

you upload that NOT the zip !

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Answers

• mcu_hqmcu_hq yippie ki-yay ✭✭✭

check if your config folder is writable (CHMOD 777) as well as all of the files within.

• Wow thanks for the very fast reply. But how do I do that?

I use flashfxp to perform all of my remote transactions. Simply browse to your folder in your favorite FTP client, right-click on 'config', CHMOD 777, apply to all subfolders/files

• Guys there is where things get so confusing. I was told I could not use FTP and had to go directly into GoDaddy and alter the Vanilla Forum files there. I actually dont even use FTP so thought that was just fine with me. So is there a way I can do this directly within GoDaddy?

edited April 2012

sounds like you need to contact GoDaddy then....a host that won't let you have your own FTP server daemon running is a joke. Let this be your lesson for choosing GoDaddy.

• No nothing that GoDaddy said I just something I was told. Anyway I have Filezilla so are you able to tell me what I should in that? I am the most basic of newbie so any detailed step is really helpful.

I will say I did go into file zilla, found the forums file, went into config.php. I right clicked on that and it said "Please select the new attribute s for the file "config.php". All boxes inside that are ticked except "Write" in "Public permissions" and there is a Numeric value of 775 showing. Is it that I should change to 777?

Thanks again. Cheers Michael.

• It is not the permission of the config, it is the permission of the plugin, if it is not showing up.

First make sure that all the files are contained in the uploaded folder compared to the original, if not , them make sure the files, and folder have chmod 755.

grep is your friend.

• So I have gone inside the FTP file manager inside my host. I went to directory under forums/plugins and I uploaded the plugin file which is now sitting there with all the rest of the plugins that came with vanilla when I installed it.

I then went into filezilla when to forums/plugins and right clicked and changed the file attributes to 777. I then did the same in forums/uploads but changed that to 755. I then went to forums/plugins/whosonline and changed that from 705 to 777.

I then went back to my dashboard/plugins but the plugin was not added. Im sure you are all giving the correct directions but Im just not sure what Im doing wrong?

• 422422 Developer MVP

Are you using custom theme....?

• I'm using the Vanilla version 2.0.18.4 by Mark O'Sullivan that came with it when I installed.

• 422422 Developer MVP

Show us a link if you can

• 422422 Developer MVP

what is the plugin you UPLOADED but isnt showing

• whosonline.

• 422422 Developer MVP

plugins must be uploaded to forums/themes/

• Ok just uploaded it the forums/theme unziped it, checked in filezilla and can see that the file is there but then it does not show up dashboard with all the other vanilla plugins. I then changed the file permission from 705 to 777 but still nothing.

• 422422 Developer MVP

sounds like you have a PATH issue which should be simple to sort out.

goto forums > themes > cache > and delete all .ini files

• I don't have a cache under forums > themes > cache

but I do have it under

forums > cache

Inside there I can see 9 files with .ini like "a_converstations_contriller_map.ini"

Is it those files I should delete. Just thought I should double check before deleting the wrong thing.

BTW I really appreciate you taking the time to help me so thank you!

• 422422 Developer MVP
    edited April 2012

Create a cache folder in themes folder.

Chmod the cache folder to 777

Bad Info ( ignore )

• 422422 Developer MVP

here is a snapshot of a themes folder for one of our forums.

Apologies your themes folder is default, so in forums > you should see folder structure like the image