Fork me on GitHub
Current Releases are 2.1 stable (major release) and 2.0.18.11 (security patch for 2.0)
We've also rebooted our GitHub repo, docs, and more!

Conversion and Migration : do we need a special application or keep the porter plugin? a discussion

UnderDogUnderDog Moderator
edited April 2012 in Questions

So I'm looking into migrating from lots of other forum systems to Vanilla. Just for a Wiki article.

I see that we can migrate from the following systems:

• Vanilla 1.* and 2.*
  • vBulletin 3.* and 4.*
  • phpBB 2.* and phpBB 3.*
  • bbPress 1.*
  • SimplePress 1.*
  • SMF (Simple Machines) 1.*
  • punBB 1.*

Since lately there have been questions to migrate from MyBB to Vanilla and MyBB isn't on the list, I'm trying to figure out how other systems are handling their migrations.

They seem to have a special 'tab' on their install script that lets them convert from other system to their system, which is fine.

That makes me wonder : Do we need a special application that handles the migration from other scripts to Vanilla, or is the porter plugin doing its job?

If we're making an application we could make the general import in the application and let plugins for that special application handle the delivery of the data from the external forum system (a bit abstract, but hope you're still following me)

Example:
Porter Application

• MyBB plugin
  • vBulletin plugin
  • phpBB plugin
  • bbPress plugin
  • SimplePress plugin
  • SMF plugin
  • punBB plugin

Any new forum system to convert from? Make a plugin. Any new version from a forum system? Update its specific plugin.

Thoughts?

Answers