Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Is there a way to integrate Vanilla into Wordpress without using embed?

OnlyAnExcuseOnlyAnExcuse ✭✭
edited February 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Ideally, i'd like to use a Wordpress theme and have Vanilla embedded, but without it using an iframe to do so.

Is there a way to do this without physically creating a Vanilla theme based on the original Wordpress theme?

It wouldn't be an issue to do this but ideally if there is a way already (without using 'embed') then it would make things easier.

Best Answer

• x00x00 MVP
    Answer ✓

Well the reason why those pages are have hash # in the url, is you can very well be going through two system at the same time. It becomes a mess.

The best way to "embed" is not to embed at all.

Simply create a blank wordpress page. Then in your .htaccess, route that url to your forum. Style appropriately.

grep is your friend.

Answers

• x00x00 MVP
    Answer ✓

Well the reason why those pages are have hash # in the url, is you can very well be going through two system at the same time. It becomes a mess.

The best way to "embed" is not to embed at all.

Simply create a blank wordpress page. Then in your .htaccess, route that url to your forum. Style appropriately.

grep is your friend.

• Thanks x00 - was hoping there may be a simpler solution instead of styling Vanilla to suit, but that's not a major problem, just a bit more time consuming.

Much thanks!

• I liked a Wordpress theme, however Vanilla Forums did not have the theme that I wanted so I cloned the Wordpress theme.

What theme do you like?

• I used The Morning After for my site's latest incarnation. Copied the style a little for Vanilla, but still have to add the search box and fix the menus to act the same.

http://www.onlyanexcuse.com/ is the Morning After theme on the site's blog and
    http://forum.onlyanexcuse.com/ is the Vanilla forum

• 422422 Developer MVP

Needs work but looking good

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited March 2012

nice.

I would make the dashboard link conditional.

grep is your friend.

• I would like to follow on this..

The Embed code thing isn't a stay for me it sounded very nice but it's far from. Very unprofessional that was used years ago.

So i was thinking of installing WordPress inside the Root and install Vanilla into it's own folder inside that Root..

Would this cost any problems later?
    Maybe because of the .htaccess of WordPress inside the Root folder?

I think i can theme my Vanilla them into something that looks like my WP Theme.

• ShadowdareShadowdare r_j MVP
    edited April 2012

Shmoo said:
    So i was thinking of installing WordPress inside the Root and install Vanilla into it's own folder inside that Root..

Would this cost any problems later?
    Maybe because of the .htaccess of WordPress inside the Root folder?

That will not cause any problems. I'm using a similar setup on my website.

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• Very unprofessional that was used years ago.

Nonsense. This a solution that is suitable for certain situations. I use it for client who have private forums, or specific requirement.

Nothing unprofessional about it.

Note the Twitter is dynamically loaded, and they use hashes in their urls like embedded vanilla, they simply mirror content for static pages, and redirect. Are you saying twitter is unprofessional?

Vanilla is also has a json api so you could do a similar thing. The point is that kind of content is not for search engines, to pick up directly. In fact it is useful if you specifically want extra content that not reaped by search engines. Even Google uses these techniques themselves.

grep is your friend.

• iFrames are okay to use in some cases but it should never be your first choice I think.
    But it's okay if you like to work with them, everybody has it's own kinda way of working.

Note the Twitter is dynamically loaded, and they use hashes in their urls like embedded vanilla, they simply mirror content for static pages, and redirect. Are you saying twitter is unprofessional?>

You serious saying Twitter is professional, just because they are trending and maybe the most used website out there?
    How often are they offline because too many people make use of it, that's not professional.

Not saying Twitter is a bad product but it's far from professional. Loading times (profile pages) are dramatic and way too often it's offline. Facebook is less often offline while they have a more complexed website to deal with. While Twitter will probably be more $ worth than Facebook.

And beside how many people here have the same PageRank or SEO rank as Twitter when they start a website-/forum ?
    So i just go for a safe-mode and build my Vanilla inside WordPress just like CSS-Tricks has done.

For now i'm reading the Vanilla Docs to understand how the template files work. It's a little different to learn if you always use WordPress.

• Maybe 'professional' is lost in translation, and you are meaning a different word. There is a difference between resources available, and being unprofessional. Just remember that the core team post on here, and if you start using words like unprofessional, willy nilly, I don't think they will appreciate it too much.

You said the embed was unprofessional, it is not itself unprofessional, becuase it is up the developer to come up with, or choose the correct solution. It is not a case of me liking to work with something for emotional reasons, it is a case of choosing the right solution for that use case. I know people who have tried to force load wordpress to embed on server side like pagelines solution, this take 10x as long to load (not exaggerating) an depletes the sever resources.

Note it was me the first pointed out on this thread, that is usually best for vanilla to hold it own, and not use embed. So I'm not saying embed is ideal, that doesn't mean it is unprofessional.

If you knew the sever setup you would know that facebook, is all resources, they came up with some good ideas, like Cassandra, HipHop, HBase however the emphasis is on keeping their existing way of developing rather then retraining all their coders.

Twitter is much more about punching about it weight, being lean, yes of course the will have failures, due to load. It is a heavily used, concurrent system.

grep is your friend.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

If you want to get dangerous: https://github.com/lincolnwebs/Glue

• x00x00 MVP
    edited April 2012

Lincoln said:

That a great solution for vanilla comments, and authentication.

Different from embedding vanilla as a whole.

grep is your friend.

• Lincoln said:

@Lincoln

I've been looking for a way to force Wordpress and Vanilla to share a single user database. Would this be the best solution to achieve that? From the reading I've done, all the single sign on solutions do is recreate a user from Wordpress in the Vanilla database. I'm looking for a way to implement a single site registration/sign-on that leverages only one user table.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

• snomosnomo New
    edited September 2012

@Nv1ncible said:
    Anyone have any way to do this yet?

I'm also looking for a way to force Wordpress and Vanilla to share a single user database but coming up dry.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

@snomo The Glue plugins I linked sync your WordPress user table to your Vanilla user table. Actually reading from the same table for both is a bad, hacky plan, which is why no such solution exists.

• @lincoln - how does Glue fare with 2.1? Wondered if anyone has tried it yet.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

I'm running it against the develop branch on all my sites.

• Has there been any progress on this? I have a Wordpress installation on my .com, and I'd like to run a Vanilla forum, but I'd like my users to have to only register once to use either my forum or my online pinboard/Pinterest clone.

Thanks in advance for any help, I'm searching, but this was the most current I saw! I'd like to use Glue, but I'm also wanting to go with the best option I can 'just in case' my site sees a lot of traffic and registrations. I'm in the adult niche with a trendy sounding domain name so I'm kind've hoping, lol.

But anyway, I want to offer a seamless experience and registration for my users and have it across both sides. Glue looks great if that's still the best option?