Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

How to upgrade?

Hello, I just tried to update from Version 2.0.17.8 to 2.0.18.4 following these instructions: http://vanillaforums.org/docs/installation-upgrade

I am able to successfully upgrade, however all the discussions and comments are gone! I was able to revert to a backup. What gives? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Answers

• UnderDogUnderDog MVP
    edited April 2012

Good thing you had a backup!

First question:

Did you try to update on your local PC ( XAMPP ) or did you upgrade on the actual server?

Second question:

Why not try to upgrade on your local PC frst?

Third question:

Did you look in the database after you lost the discussions and comments?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• I was updating on the live server. I can try a local update - however, the documentation I linked to previously would still cause all discussions and comments to be deleted, yeah? Is there a better update walkthrough I could go by?

Yes, I did look in the database and the discussion and comment tables were empty :( Is that normal? I've seen some talk of needing to export/import all Vanilla content / settings prior to the update - should I be doing that, and if so, is there a certain plugin for that export?

Thanks UnderDog!

• OK - I was finally able to upgrade after following the instructions here: http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/12740/vanilla-2-upgrading-tips/

It's odd though.. when upgrading locally I receive numerous errors when trying to access utility/update like this one: Could not find a 'upgrade' view for the 'utility' controller in the 'dashboard' application.

Or I just get BONK - something went wrong screens on the update or home pages.

However, on the live server, I was able to access the update screen just fine and it says "Success". I wish Vanilla would make this process easier and better documented with less room for error. I'm used to software like WordPress that just handles this stuff and there are never errors.

• JamesMehorter said:
    OK - I was finally able to upgrade after following the instructions here: http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/12740/vanilla-2-upgrading-tips/

Good that it worked!

I'm really interested in the things you did differently as opposed to the documentation

It's odd though.. when upgrading locally I receive numerous errors when trying to access utility/update like this one: Could not find a 'upgrade' view for the 'utility' controller in the 'dashboard' application.

I think it has something to do with the theme you are using.

Or I just get BONK - something went wrong screens on the update or home pages.

You do know what to do when you get a bonk error, right?

I wish Vanilla would make this process easier and better documented with less room for error. I'm used to software like WordPress that just handles this stuff and there are never errors.

You are absolutely right and you are welcome to write your findings on the Wiki pages.

• @UnderDog the only thing I did different than the documentation is to delete all the Vanilla files (except cache, conf, themes, plugins, and uploads) and then copy in the new version of Vanilla (minus the folders I left behind). And that's it.

I'm just using the default theme.

Heh, nope - No idea what to do on a Bonk error screen. It doesn't tell you anything about what the error was. I doubled checked all the config settings, which we correct. Navigating to /utility/update fixed the Bonk screen on the home page but also produced the error about no view for the utility controller when visiting the update page.

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@JamesMehorter

For future reference: to get a full error report in place of 'Bonk'

In your Vanilla/conf folder find config.php and add this line:

$Configuration['Garden']['Debug'] = TRUE;

This will give you a detailed error, rather than the bonk page.

• UnderDogUnderDog MVP
    edited April 2012

So sorry...

Add both lines in your conf/config.php please:

$Configuration['Garden']['Debug'] = TRUE; $Configuration['Garden']['Errors']['MasterView'] = 'deverror.master.php';

I added an extra Wiki page regarding the Bonk error.

http://vanillawiki.homebrewforums.net/index.php/Bonk_Errors

Old page still exists, but let's continue with editing the new Wiki page :-)