Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

[Documentation][Mobile] "Bonk" Message when applying themes *Error Code copied*

edited April 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I was wondering if anyone can help me. I just setup my first vanilla forum. Whenever I try to use a different theme other than the default, which includes mobile, embed-friendly, and the ones I downloaded from vanilla I get the following error message.

Fatal Error in PHP.trigger_error();
Smarty error: the $compile_dir '/hermes/waloraweb008/b1127/moo.misfitvap3rscom/discussion/vanillaforums/cache/Smarty/compile' does not exist, or is not a directory.
The error occurred on or near: /path/to/discussion/vanillaforums/library/vendors/Smarty-2.6.25/libs/Smarty.class.php

Variables in local scope:

[error_msg] 'the $compile_dir \'/hermes/waloraweb008/b1127/moo.misfitvap3rscom/discussion/vanillaforums/cache/Smarty/compile\' does not exist, or is not a directory.'

[error_type] 256

I've tried all the trouble-shooting steps and can't seem to figure out what I am doing wrong. Any help is appreciated. Thank you

Best Answer

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    Answer ✓

[error_msg] 'the $compile_dir \'/hermes/waloraweb008/b1127/moo.misfitvap3rscom/discussion/vanillaforums/cache/Smarty/compile\' does not exist, or is not a directory.'

create

Smarty/compile

and
    Smarty/cache

if they don't exist

I gave them 777 permissions.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

Answers

• 422422 Developer MVP
    edited April 2012

Is smarty writeable ?

I think theres a compile folder that needs to be 777 ,not sure

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• yes it is @422 in this directory /discussion/vanillaforums/library/vendors

• I checked here discussion/vanillaforums/cache/Smarty/compile' does not exist, or is not a directory.

and I don't have a smarty/compile

could that be the problem?

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    Answer ✓

create

Smarty/compile

and
    Smarty/cache

if they don't exist

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• edited April 2012

added Smarty/compile
    added Smarty/cache

gave all 777 permissions

Instead of error message I am getting "page not found"

is that progress? When I go to my dashboard and hit preview on the computer, the preview is showing up on the computer but not on my mobile.

• edited April 2012

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited April 2012

is that progress?

>

whats that saying "progress makes perfect". keep practicing.

When I go to my dashboard and hit preview on the computer, the preview is showing up on the computer but not on my mobile.

isn't there a mobile friendly theme?

• the good news is I got mobile to work. thank you for your help. However it is the default theme and not the mobile theme.

I have my config.php setup as

$Configuration['Garden']['MobileTheme'] = 'True';

• 422422 Developer MVP

May sound stupid, are you testing mobile theme on a mobile device or on computer.

Could be a cache issue

• edited April 2012

testing it on my droid bionic while I'm sitting in front of the computer messing around with Vanilla

• Thank you for both your help. I appreciate it.

• JMisfit12 said:
    Thank you for both your help. I appreciate it.

Does that mean that you almost got it resolved, Will you let us know if you've resolved the problem? It might be something for the Vanilla Wiki.

• peregrine said:

create

Smarty/compile

and
    Smarty/cache

if they don't exist

This is what I did to resolve my problem. For some reason the /cache directory didn't have Smarty/compile. I created that and changed the permissions to 777 permission and was still getting the bonked error. I then created the Smarty/cache with 777 permissions and it started working.

• I still can't seem to get the mobile theme on my phone. I have this in my config.php

$Configuration['Garden']['MobileTheme'] = 'True';

• UnderDogUnderDog MVP
    edited April 2012

Good that you got the first point resolved. Bonks are always a bit nasty.

The second point, let me see if I understand it right : Your own theme needs to be shown on your mobile phone (and other mobile devices), right?

What I would do is get the actual mobile theme and compare that to my own theme. The other thing I would do is ask @422 if he had his medicine yet ;-) (and see if he can help you resolve the problem)

• I'm using the Vanilla Defaultversion 1.0by Todd Burry Vanilla Grey Theme. When I go on my mobile it shows as the default theme by Vanilla. Was hoping for the mobile theme when I on my cell with the option to get the full site.

• 422422 Developer MVP

I dont touch mobile them, or indeed have ever looked at them. Sounds like your mobile phone is not detecting the css file for your theme.
    Perhaps, try pointing your mobile device directly at yoursite.com/themes/mobilefriendly/ whatever the url is and see if it picks it up.

• just tried yoursite.com/themes/mobilefriendly/

got page not found.

=(

• 422422 Developer MVP

Its not something i have tried, i will be in office soon and will try.

• thanks for the help @422 and everyone else