Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Mass Email to Users

edited April 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

How do I send a mass email to my users? If this is not possible from Vanilla, is there a plugin for this?

Tagged:

Best Answers

Answers

• get a list

SELECT `Email`
    FROM `GDN_User`

put  the list into  a file 
    that looks like this called maillist.txt

joe@none.com
    happydude@none.com
    unhappydude@none.com
    moe@none.com
    larry@none.com
    curly@none.com

the program

happydudemailer.php

<?php

$filename = "maillist.txt";

$fp = fopen($filename, "r");
    if($fp)
    {
       while(!feof($fp))
       {
          $to = fgets($fp);
         $subject = "Hi!";
        $body = "Hi,\n\nHow are you?";
       if (mail($to, $subject, $body)) {
         echo $to;
         echo("<p>Message successfully sent!</p>");
          } else {
       echo("<p>Message delivery failed...</p>");
          }

}
    }

?>

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• you could even do a selective message to users who haven't logged in since the beginning of the year by creating a mailing list with these results.

SELECT Email
    FROM GDN_User
    WHERE DateLastActive < "2012-01-01"

<?php
    $filename = "maillist.txt";
    $fp = fopen($filename, "r");
    if($fp)
    {
    while(!feof($fp))
    {
    $to = fgets($fp);
    $subject = "Hi!";
    $body = "Hi,\n\nI see you have not logged in for a while, why not?";
    if (mail($to, $subject, $body)) {
    echo $to;
    echo("<p>Message successfully sent!</p>");
    } else {
    echo("<p>Message delivery failed...</p>");
    }
    }
    }
    ?>

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Honestly, I could do all that if I wanted to. I just wanted to know if there was an in-built feature or plugin for that.

Something nice and easy in the backend. Perhaps you could build one ;) My vanilla plugin development skills are not all that great.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited April 2012

happydude said:
    Honestly, I could do all that if I wanted to. I just wanted to know if there was an in-built feature or plugin for that.>

Sorry I misinterpreted your message

How do I send a mass email to my users? >

see above, but you could have done that if you wanted to. Apparently you don't want to.

If this is not possible from Vanilla, is there a plugin for this?>

no.

Something nice and easy in the backend. Perhaps you could build one ;) My vanilla plugin development skills are not all that great.>

the above is already easy. maybe somebody else will produce a plugin. it doesn't interest me. Maybe you could hone up on your skills "if you wanted to"
    http://vanillawiki.homebrewforums.net/index.php/Main_Page

check out the various references to plugins.

• 422422 Developer MVP

I couldnt Have done that, thankyou Peregrine

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• DanDevineDanDevine
    Answer ✓

I have a plugin that does exactly what you need. It is called MassDelivery and the author is listed as "Ronnie" I have no idea where I got it, I thought I got it here on the add-ons page but it is not listed Since I am not the author and don't have an programming knowledge I am hesitant on distributing someone else's work. Perhaps you can research MassDelivery or "Ronnie".

• fh111fh111 Vanilla Padawan ✭✭
    edited April 2012 Answer ✓

this is where you got it
    https://github.com/downloads/johnsimpson/MassDelivery/MassDelivery-1.0.zip

too bad it's not there anymore. i'd be interested in it as well. mind sharing the version you have?

edit:
    actually....here it is
    https://github.com/downloads/unlight/MassDelivery/MassDelivery-1.0.zip

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited April 2012

@422 I may have overreacted. but others came to the rescue :> I guess I tire of people who don't say thank you or don't click the like button or don't accept buttons, to at least signify that they appreciate in some samll way that you tried to solve their problem. Not doing these things seems to signify that the person asking the question, couldn't care less about your time and effort.

• @peregrine I am very sorry. I didn't mean to come across that way, and I actually appreciate your responses.

@fh111, @422 and @Dan Devine Thanks for your contributions.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited April 2012

@peregrine I am very sorry. I didn't mean to come across that way, and I actually appreciate your responses.>

Accepted, no worries (as they say down south).

• hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

peregrine said:

@peregrine I am very sorry. I didn't mean to come across that way, and I actually appreciate your responses.>

Accepted, no worries (as they say down south).

we say that in the west too ;)

• West Sydney or West Texas.

• hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

peregrine said:
    West Sydney or West Texas.

west coast (California)

• Hi @peregrine, @fh111, is this addon still valid?

• GaryFunkGaryFunk Senior Application Developer ✭✭

I know I'm late to the game, but..

SELECT `Email`
    FROM `GDN_User`
    INTO OUTFILE 'maillist.txt'

• @fh111 said:

this is where you got it
    https://github.com/downloads/johnsimpson/MassDelivery/MassDelivery-1.0.zip

too bad it's not there anymore. i'd be interested in it as well. mind sharing the version you have?

edit:
    actually....here it is
    https://github.com/downloads/unlight/MassDelivery/MassDelivery-1.0.zip

Thanks for the link to the MassDelivery Plugin. This puts me closer to what I am aiming for. But I have a question.

I'd like to access a category (with specific permissions) and use the discussion(s) as a newsletter that can be mailed our via MassDelivery. Is this doable, or do you know of a self-contained newsletter plugin?

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@Nouralis I would suggest using an email campaign service like Mail Chimp, if you want to send out mass emails. There is even a Mail Chimp Integration plugin in the addons repository that will make managing it a breeze.

That said, this seems like a pretty straight forward plugin to make yourself.

Good luck!

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.