Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Vanilla Reactions and Badges - Would you buy it?

jason2007jason2007
edited May 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

If the vanilla people offered Reactions and Badges as a purchasable download plugin, would you buy it?

If you are in the dark about Reactions and Badges read about it here:
http://vanillaforums.com/blog/news/introducing-vanilla-reactions-and-badges/

as you can see, currently the vanilla people are only offering this plugin/addon with their hosted solutions.

Comments

• 422422 Developer MVP

Personally i wouldnt, not because its not worth it. It certainly is.

But this is the open src area.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• fh111fh111 Vanilla Padawan ✭✭

i can live without it. i am not saying no to paid development either

• I would if I can afford it.

• I will buy it if I can afford it too

• I'm willing, but It depends on its price! How much will it cost?

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited May 2012

It doesn't cost anything, because its not available. It's just conjecture. and it's the weekly, now daily post of a hypothetical instance.

Which leads to the question? How much would a developer charge to develop this, then all the people who say if I could afford it, could sponsor it.

Then this can be put to rest and everyone will atain nirvana.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• aeryaery Gtricks Forum in 2.2 :) ✭✭✭

I would.

But this is not a proper business model for any company. The leaks will be too high and it will be costly to support such system.

The current vanilla ecosystem is perfectly tuned except pricing constraints.

• aery said:

The current vanilla ecosystem is perfectly tuned except pricing constraints.

It would depend on the organisms's umwelt ,
    wouldn't it.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• aeryaery Gtricks Forum in 2.2 :) ✭✭✭

@peregrine Definitely. They have good business model in their own but it needs to be very popular for brilliant revenue. I liked @SevMC suggestion.

• 422422 Developer MVP

Tim within the blog has made it very clear. Badges will not be released open src.

I thnk hs reasoning makes perfect sense.

• It doesn't have to be "open Source"
    charge a fee for the damn thing and get rich just like Bill Gates, maybe.

and who stops you from sharing the plugin after you bought it? just curious how you will prevent that from happening....

didn't somebody say he would write a free badges plugin if somebody provided the graphics? i thought i read something like that, but can't find it anymore...maybe i dreamed it :p

• 422422 Developer MVP

Thats not the issue tho, releasing a version paid or otherwise to a free open src pkatform, will bring with it a gazillion requests, bug reports, i wanna do this issues. Best bet is to wait and see if a third party plugin gets made.

I mean fgs they are only badges lol.

fh111 said:

didn't somebody say he would write a free badges plugin if somebody provided the graphics? i thought i read something like that, but can't find it anymore...maybe i dreamed it :p

oh that was @vbgamer in the other badges discussion
    http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/19036/badge

• fh111 said:
    and who stops you from sharing the plugin after you bought it? just curious how you will prevent that from happening....

worst excuse ever.
    I happen to buy lots of scripts and willingly spend on quality products. In fact in the last 4 months I've spent over $1500 on scripts and website templates alone. If you plan your business to stay small with a handfull of clients, thats one thing but if you want to grow then basing your model on a hosting business is not the way forward.

As an example look at the evolution of MMO games. In the early days most charged for access but nowdays most are free to access and rely on microtransactions.

Microtransactions is the way of the present and future.
    Get with the times.

If you offer a quality product and market it at a decent price, people like myself will purchase it and using piracy in any form to argue against selling to consumers is ridiculous; that's like arguing that having no customers is better than any customers at all because they might pirate the product; which I might add is exactly what you are saying.

• 422422 Developer MVP

Im sure i read in the master blog, that he woudnt be releasing it to ths portion of the community.

Obfustated code can be decrypted with one click

• Here is a proposal Karma Bank already rewards based on on meta. So KB could be extended to reward accolades, which could be any kind of graphic of your choosing. You can set the rules.

I doesn't currently do compound rule (and, exor, etc) but that is also possible.

grep is your friend.

• hbf said:
    @422
    I can clearly see co-sponsored development being able to fund an open source solution.

It seems like a clearly wanted thing, i offered to pay licensing on it a while back.

If the .com solution will not be made available and this is confirmed i will setup a fund raiser for developing an alternative solution.

count me in, i'll buy a copy if someone makes it

This discussion has been closed.