HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

I'm not a hobbyist...

2»

Comments

• 422422 Developer MVP

Thats wot that ding ding noise is every five minutes!

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• I wonder if 422 got the latest text message
    http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/20297/are-badges-included-in-the-self-hosted-version#latest

underdog - is there anyway you could add "questiions about wordpress installation problems" also to the text messaging system to 422 That was all supposed to be included in the 1000 badge, i thought. Must be a glitch, probably should make a pull request.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• 422422 Developer MVP

Was wondering if you would E X P L O D E if i hit the abuse boooooton lol

• ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff

I can see the community now has a full fledged peanut gallery. And by the looks of it we give out points for corny jokes.

• It keeps us occupied during the weekly topics about the same subject :-S I think Todd wants us to cut-it-out though :-S

• hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

Todd said:
    I can see the community now has a full fledged peanut gallery. And by the looks of it we give out points for corny jokes.

welcome to forum gamification.

• 422 said:
    Next you will be arguing if it should be called a board not a forum, fgs you guys have too much time on your hands.

To say your clients woudnt be impressed is bullshit.

If your clients saw the word hobbyist, says little for your abilities as so called developers.

Get over it and move on !

@422, I have a lot of respect for the work you do with Vanilla and the information you share on this forum, but profanity and name-calling are unprofessional and counter-productive.

My stakeholders may not always be technical, but they are savvy enough to ask questions and perform due diligence in any software acquisition, particularly when the product is open source, which (depending upon the licensing model) could have serious intellectual property ramifications.

I never hide that I'm using open source software, and I encourage project sponsors to support organizations developing open source software by donating funds equal to the value earned from using that software. It's hard to get a CFO to put up enterprise class dollars for open source software on any day, but it's an even bigger challenge when that software (based on marketing) appears to be built for amateurs.

No matter how great a developer I am, or how slick a salesman I am, it's a real challenge to overcome the stigma of "Hobbyist" software. Based on my experience with my current Vanilla project, when a stakeholder brought up the "Hobbyist" question, it resulted in several more hours of non-productive (and non-billable) back-and-forth competitive product comparison and alternative demonstrations to justify my original recommendation of Vanilla.

Ultimately, the decision comes down to my reputation and the project sponsor's trust in my ability to deliver a professional-grade solution. I don't consider my reputation to be BS, and I don't consider Vanilla Forums to be BS.

• Ok time to bury the hatchet I think.

Savy or not client don't always get it right, it is up to you to explain it to them. If it not that they pick up on it is something else.

grep is your friend.

• 422422 Developer MVP

@curtisoden

My comments were not merely directed at you, and they werent intended to be personal.

I was being generic and ironic.

Whilst i still dont get it, i stand firm.

The word hobbyist has absolutely no merit as a stumbling block.

Its like the word DIY

I am sure the many millions of ultra qualified builders that use diy stores at one time or another look down on the amateur minions and revolt at they themselves being pidgeon holed as mere diy'ers.

But its a term, not a title. Time to move on.

My question is it could have been termed, Gardner. As the software is riddled with reference to garden.

• AoleeAolee Hobbyist & Coder ✭✭

I'm a developer+hobbyist :)

• I'm a gardener!

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• AoleeAolee Hobbyist & Coder ✭✭
    edited May 2012

@peregrine lol +1 like to you bro :)

• ddumontddumont ✭✭

Todd said:

So you're creating a badge for trolling? What a wonderful idea :)