Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

adding a "how to" in the new discussion and comment page

edited June 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

hi, anyone know about how to place a help like in this vanilla new discussion page, i mean which on the right of new discussion form. can anybody help me ?
i have trying to search whole of script but i just find nothing. it just a php code, no html syntax like textarea or etc.

Best Answer

• 422422 Developer MVP
    Answer ✓

Looks right @shadowdare good answer !

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Answers

• 422422 Developer MVP

Use messages and create a block. Dashboard , messages.

• other way ? i wonder to make it look like in this vanillaforums new discussion page.

• hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

plugin which adds a custom module only to the new discussion view.

• @hbf do you have thats plugin ? please give me the link if you have.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2012

:) I think hbf is suggesting that you would need to write your own plugin that has the capabilities to what he has mentioned. Sounds like you've got some studying to do.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• @peregrine hha, i've visited your post in your signature by the way, and i found a good tutorial. but i dont to undestand how vanilla work and the coding structure.

• 422422 Developer MVP

is this what you are trying to do ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD_rT7m1dKo

But with links in the sidebar panel ?

• no, not that, but somethink like this if possible.

• 422422 Developer MVP
    edited June 2012

thats easy.

< div class="myinfoblock">
        < h3>How to Format</ h3>
            < ul>
                < li>Html Is Allowed</ li>
                < li>Eating Sausages is great</ li>
                < li>x00 is super cool</ li>
                < li>Peregrine has a future</ li>
                < li>HBF is a beer monster</ li>
            </ ul>
    </ div>

style accordingly within your css

• yes thats easy :D , the problem is how to make it displayed when we click new discussion textarea or comment textarea ?

• 422422 Developer MVP

Well thats not so easy, but as others have said. Time to get learning about click event handling. Essentially, one div is display:block another is display:none using jquery click handling we can invoke a change to the dsiplay of each div.

Its not that complicated to do, but your on your own here because I am far to busy to do it for you, however heres something worth reading:

http://jsfiddle.net/joycse06/BXNE9/2/

• oke thx :)

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@Fs02

AfaIk that page is 'discussion'.

You could create your new div, and add that to the custom.css file with display:none

Then add a separate rule for .Discussion with display:block.

You would need to add a line of code into your default.master.php file to call the div into the side panel.

It's actually something I'll add to my site, now that you suggested it, so if you can't get it sorted, check back here in a day or two, and I'll say how (if...) I got it working.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2012

Fs02 said:
    no, not that, but somethink like this if possible.

perfect - this is exactly how to post a question - you get more results this way when people can visualize this way.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• ShadowdareShadowdare r_j MVP
    edited June 2012

peregrine said:
    perfect - this is exactly how to post a question - you get more results this way when people can visualize this way.

In spite of that, I had understood what sidebar the original poster was asking about even without the visualization.

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2012

Shadowdare said:

peregrine said:

In spite of that, I had understood what sidebar the original poster was asking about even without the visualization.

it was merely pointing out that if more users asked questions how do I add this and that and make it look like so and so - if they mock up an image it is much clearer to understand.
    In this case, I too, knew what he was talking about. So do we get visualization in the mind's eye badges @shadowdare or would you prefer that people don't post images of what they want, so you can try imagine it?

• 422422 Developer MVP

I think its great when users go to the trouble of posting images, a picture paints a thousand words.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2012

We just have to find a way to delete images when shadowdare is viewing :).

and keep them when you (422) and I are viewing.

• ShadowdareShadowdare r_j MVP
    edited June 2012

I didn't say that I didn't prefer visualizations. I only said that in the original post, it is clear to me that he is talking about the sidebar on the new discussions page.

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• Shadowdare said:
    I didn't say that I didn't prefer visualizations. I only said that in the original post, it is clear to me that he is talking about the sidebar on the new discussions page.

No, i dont talking about making sidebar in new discussion page because that easy to do.
    i just want a massages like that just appear when user clicking on the comment or new discussion page.
    the problem is i don't know where to find the textarea code, so i can adds some javascript in there.