Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

CSS problems - 2 minor fixes

edited October 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Hi, the voting button showed up in the middle of the post, over the text, and resizing the window went out of screen. In the CSS I saw it is aligned with

position: absolute;
right: 684px;

in ul.MessageList div.Meta span.Votes, around line 130. Why fixed length in pixels, and why so high? I set it to 2em and now it shows on the right correctly, with no overlap with other content, even resizing. Is there any special case in which this setting does not work? (BTW, I can see many lengths are fixed in pixels)

Another problem for me was the background color of posts. Classes ul.MessageList and li.Item have the background overwritten with #fff (line 125). This screwed my colors, I had to comment it again. Can I ask why the color is overwritten? Shouldn't the plugin be independent from the site layout? If every plugin changes a color not strictly related with the plugin, the final result will be a complete mess...

Thanks.
Tagged:

Answers

• ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    If you want to completely change the css in the voting plugin I recommend you add a voting.css file to your theme's design folder. Vanilla will use your css file instead of the one in the plugin.
  • EugenioR said:
    I set it to 2em and now it shows on the right correctly, with no overlap with other content, even resizing.

@EugenioR, thanks for this hint. This solved the issue with horizontal alignment while using the "Embed-Friendlyversion 1.0" theme.

Still, I'd need it to be a few pixels higher. Will try to find it in css, but please comment if you're online.

• edited June 2012

@EugenioR I actually changed ul.MessageList div.Meta span.Votes
    to: left:-5em

I also added to ul.MessageList li.Item:
    left:4em;

That placed it perfectly. Ideas? Suggestions?