Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

[Solved] Import bonk on vanilla 2.0.18.3

2»

Answers

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2012

you need to check the format field in the discussions table and comment table needs to be html

your comments are becoming more and more unintelligible. How did you get the conversion on the windows computer resolved. how did you resolve this? It is customary to say how you resolved it and did any solution work for you?

which version of vanilla are you using? which OS are we talking about now?

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• argie01argie01 New
    edited June 2012

Hi peregrine, the problem with the migration happened when I was working on localhost, with Windows XP SP3.
    As I wrote above (I don't think my posts are unintelligible :), I did the migration (again) on my current hosting (a linux server) and so the migration was OK.
    And that's all :)

Regarding to the version of Vanilla I'm using, on my first post I wrote it :) This is the last version of Vanilla.

But I really don't understand what you're meaning with this comment

you need to check the format field in the discussions table and comment table needs to be html>

I.e., I think the migration should migrate fine all post of my old V 1.6.3 forum, without changes.
    The links on my old forum are standard, as you can imagine. And after the migration those links are showed as plain text (even when I pass the pointer of the mouse over the link, it doesn't change to a hand). But if I edit those post, the code of the links are perfect.

Regards.

• Oh man, it's getting worse... I need a vacation.

argie01 said:
    UnderDog, as I wrote on my last post, I did the migration on my current linux hosting, and the migration was fine, except by a detail: the links on discussions has changed to plain text.
    But the curious thing is when I check the code on those articles with links, the html code still has the links: but they are showed to users as plain text...

Step by step this is what you should do. Please do not say that you already done that...

• Open phpMyAdmin
    • Go to the table for Discussions and Comments (2 separate tables)
    • Go to the field that says 'Format'
    • Look at the value of the field 'Format' for some of the entries (records) of your forum
    • Waggle your tail and report back in this thread.

Please do not ask where phpMyAdmin is or where the tables for Discussions and Comments are, because in that case I will be on vacation for sure.

argie01 said:
    Hi peregrine, the problem with the migration happened when I was working on localhost, with Windows XP SP3.
    As I wrote above (I don't think my posts are unintelligible :), I did the migration (again) on my current hosting (a linux server) and so the migration was OK.
    And that's all :)

So the migration is ok? So everything worked out? All items are imported from your old forum to your new forum? Awesome. Good job.

Regarding to the version of Vanilla I'm using, on my first post I wrote it :) This is the last version of Vanilla.

According to your first post that you wrote, the version you are using is 2.0.18.3

Maybe there is a new version of Vanilla in the meantime:

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/19542/vanilla-2-0-18-4-released

But I really don't understand what you're meaning with this comment

you need to check the format field in the discussions table and comment table needs to be html>

I.e., I think the migration should migrate fine all post of my old V 1.6.3 forum, without changes.
    The links on my old forum are standard, as you can imagine. And after the migration those links are showed as plain text (even when I pass the pointer of the mouse over the link, it doesn't change to a hand). But if I edit those post, the code of the links are perfect.

Step by step this is what you should do. Please do not say that you already done that...

• Open phpMyAdmin
    • Go to the table for Discussions and Comments (2 separate tables)
    • Go to the field that says 'Format'
    • Look at the value of the field 'Format' for some of the entries (records) of your forum
    • Waggle your tail and report back in this thread.

Please do not ask where phpMyAdmin is or where the tables for Discussions and Comments are, because in that case I will be on vacation for sure.

So, if you succeed, waggle your tail and report the contents of that format field

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• I'm finished too, until you say how you resolved the windows problem. or if you didn't, did you give up on windows version.

also latest version doen't fly. your idea of latest version may differ, since you posted under a thread that says 2.0.18.3 whichh is not the latest. so yes it is unintelligible to me. Hasta Luego for now.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• XDDD you're really funny, guys :)
    Ok, I gonna check that on phpmyadmin, and I'll post the results here.

Regarding to the problem with Windows: I didn't resolved it. I simply changed my mind and I thought on test the migration on my current linux hosting, and it worked.
    So, I don't have any solution to the Windows problem to publish here.

Regarding to the latest version: sorry, my mistake: all these test were done using Vanilla 2.0.18.4 (and not 2.0.18.3).

• The "format" for the discussions with the links is "Tinymce". And that is the same for every discussion with links on the forum.
    The discussions without links are using the "format" "BBCode".

• UnderDogUnderDog MVP
    edited June 2012

Ok, we're getting close. Just do the same steps for phpMyAdmin and make a screenshot of the same tables as I did. 1 line in your phpMyAdmin is enough. Just cut out the information we're not supposed to see, like the address bar.

I would love to see either 1 line in your comment and discussion tables or a couple of lines in your comment and discussion tables (just like I've shown in my screenshot). Let's continue after that.

If you can show the contents of the 'Body' fields at the same time (maybe same screenshot) with some links in it (they are giving problems, right?) that would be appreciated.

By the way: in my screenshot there's a possible solution to showing the links the way they should, so solving your problem somewhat.
    If you conclude that part of the solution yourself, I will make my vacation a little shorter ;-) Just let us know if you've found that solution (in my screenshot).

• argie01argie01 New
    edited June 2012

Hi again,

here I'm posting the images you requested me:

Bad Comment Table

Normal code table

Bad discussion link table

Normal Discussion Table

Discussion link code

Regarding to the solution you told me, I'm not a programmer, but I think the solution should be change "BBCode" and "Tinymce" values for "html", right?

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2012

you could use phpmyadmin to set all the formats to html.

read up on it or search for format sql . Notice how the same questions asked are repeated on this forum and the same workable solutions are also provided. and it requires you to search on the forum creatively. search with google (vanillaforums.org format sql formatter).

or see this
    http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/12372/html-not-displaying-after-vanilla-upgradeimport

also add the following in config.php for future comments and discussions. but I think you already have it correct, because you said it works when you edit comments.

$Configuration['Garden']['InputFormatter'] = 'html';

I'm really hoping you add the steps on how to fix formatting and html to the wiki - (for the next person).

• Thank you peregrine. The solution you pointed me had worked fine.
    And I didn't find that configuration line inside config.php, so I added it.

• So solved? @argie01

• Yes, solved :)