HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Vanilla Tutorial/Documental Site

Comments

• UnderDogUnderDog MVP
    edited May 2012

Link added to first post of this thread :-)

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• AoleeAolee Hobbyist & Coder ✭✭
    edited May 2012

Just registered in Vanilla Wiki, I admit my comprehension is slow when it comes to new software and don't want to break something.

Can someone guide me on how to use this wiki site?

Planning to share something about useful built-in functions.

Do I have to create some sort of a page under the "List of Functions" link?

Thanks guys!

• hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

You can add a new page or edit the existing page either way is fine. We can always restructure it later if it doesn't look nice. The content is the important part.

Use the heading declaration to create a subsection if you wan to keep it on the same page but it needs to stand on its own a bit.

Thanks!

• dodgerid
    I mentioned in a post a little while ago about vanilla having a wiki style documentation like another well know software publisher, simply because it attracts information from coders in a simplified form making it easier for novice programmers to find there legs within the code.

It was a great springboard for me and really got me into that !software, even though all I knew about php before then was the syntax and the basics, what attracted me was the layman like examples of code that enabled me to build more than a hello world plugin and I got brave enough to actually write a cross site authentication plugin that allowed users to all be registered in one database and authenticate everywhere or for each site to replicate signups across the network of sites (and a few bits besides) but I could not have done it without the examples that made me brave.

Lots of people have good Ideas that never get programmed simply because as soon as they start looking at how a particular system works it gets confusing without good sign posts and they run.

What I am looking for is support for this idea as we all know the Vanilla crew are busy people, are there any app or plugin programmers out there willing to contribute to this site if i create it ?

Are there any people out there willing to help maintain it ?

What do you think of the idea ?

IMHO I think it could be a really good thing for vanilla in helping people build the confidence to give it a go.

What do you think ?

Link to Vanilla Wiki site:

http://vanillawiki.homebrewforums.net/index.php/Main_Page

• edited June 2012

How to call in wiki a list of PHP-files which are used in core for some areas of coding?

E.g. a bundle of files which are used for search engine recoding.

"search engine

\forum\applications\dashboard\views\search\results.php

\forum\applications\dashboard\models\class.searchmodel.php

\forum\applications\vanilla\models\class.vanillasearchmodel.php
    "

• johansonlocker said:
    How to call in wiki a list of PHP-files which are used in core for some areas of coding?

E.g. a bundle of files which are used for search engine recoding.

"search engine

\forum\applications\dashboard\views\search\results.php

\forum\applications\dashboard\models\class.searchmodel.php

\forum\applications\vanilla\models\class.vanillasearchmodel.php
    "

Search for the classes responsible for searching, and refer to the Doxygen auto generated documentation, it will tell x class is in y file. I shared the docs in this forum. Search for it.

• edited June 2012

Jongos said:
    I shared the docs in this forum. Search for it.

Thank you very much. I asked a question about wiki.

And about of all such classes and javascript files too which may be used for coding.
    Other part may be - Edit user info and a list of files connected with this.
    Other - Dialog boxes, and so on

How could be named this section in vanilla's Wiki ?

• edited June 2012

Can we have the googleprettify extension please

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

@seoetv I'll ask.

• hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

Lincoln said:

@seoetv I'll ask.

I'm not sure I understand the nature or necessity of adding the google codeprettify extension. There is already a pretty printing extension installed and working quite well. Give it a try and let me know if you have trouble with it. The instructions are on the main page of the wiki doc site.

• Its really a great little wiki, specially if you are a vanilla "nub" like me, :)

• hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

@MrKane said:
    Its really a great little wiki, specially if you are a vanilla "nub" like me, :)

please feel free to add anything you pick up along the way.

• I can't believe I can't understand my own notes....

• I'm not sure if I'm looking at the wrong thing or what, but this just seems to be a list of things that should be on a site like this, but doesn't tell you how to do anything at all. For example the Vanilla for Webmasters section is a list of topics, but that's all it is is a list, you can't click on any of them to find out how to do any of them. Is this a wiki or a non-functional example of what a wiki could be?

I'm trying to figure out how to modify the layout of my forum.

• I also hope that there're changes of vanilla document for devs, most of demo pics is a link to Mark's blog. It's kinda weird and the worst is most of them are dead. It must be a day-to-days way looking to the source code before you start developing or extending vanilla. Vanilla's doc is 1 out of 5 star I guess.
    Talking about garden framework, well, where can I find a doc about its packages? You don't know the heart of project then you go nowhere. Indeed I can take a look at every method around the way with the help of an IDE. But the truth to be told, bad docs vanilla, really bad poor docs.
    Anyway, I have to get over those to finish my project. Complain is not always bad, hope you'll be better.

And sorry for my poor English.

• hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

@Horror said:
    Sadly I have no knowledge on how to edit wikis, i was never interested in them. This isn't something I would mind if others take and place where they liked, seems simple enough. I just personally wanted to credit Fire for helping me.

@422 said:
    No worries, i dont get wikis either lol.

So seals the fate of the vanillawiki. Consigned to darkness for eternity. Rest in peace fair maiden.

• HBF is right: Look, there is a complete, beautiful website on the location @hbf and I have in our signatures. All text is editable by the users of that same Wiki. We either edit that Wiki, or we keep wondering : How do we do things? We can help each other (read : the tutorial @422 made) or keep wondering and saying : "Is this a wiki or a non-functional example of what a wiki could be". Yes it's a wiki, but it's a community wiki. Needing input, needing work. We need help, community help, or the wiki will die a slow death and we can keep staring at the /docs section again :-)

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Hi

If you are still looking for some help Rivertech Ltd could help out. Not sure in what way but contact me and we can see how we could help each other?

Many Thanks