HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Attention Translators! You Can Now Help Translate Vanilla Online

ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
edited July 2012 in Localization

This is a message for anyone that can speak another language and would like to help keep the translations of Vanilla up-to-date.

I've uploaded Vanilla's translations to an online service called Transifex. I think this tool will really improve the translation workflow in Vanilla. Here is how it works:

1. The Vanilla team uploads the text used in Vanilla to transifex. There are two resources: site_core for the main site translations and dash_core for the dashboard.

2. You need to go to the registration page and sign up for a free account.

3. Once you have an account join the translation team(s) for the languages you know. I'll need to approve your request.

4. Once you are on a team you can get to translating. You can also approve translations that others have done.

5. We'll poll the project for translations and create locales for our addons repository. I'm hoping to automate this process so that the translations will be as up to date as possible.

As you can see from the image below, Vanilla has a lot of text and the locales on the site are really in need of updating. I'm hoping the international community can help out.

What if I've made a locale and it's not on transifex?

Just let me know where the locale is and I'll get it up there.

I want to translate Vanilla into a language that isn't listed on transifex?

You can request that the language be added on transifex and I'll approve it.

Comments

• Registered & requested to create / join a team :-)

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• SheilaSheila ✭✭

Registered. The localisation I'm willing to contribute is Finnish. Will need to start from scratch thou, since the one I'm currectly using is not in best order nor commented well, and also includes several addon -localisations.

• ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff

@Sheila, if you give me what you've got so far I can get it uploaded so that you won't have to start from nothing.

• SheilaSheila ✭✭

Oh thanks, you are sweet! But seriously my current translation is such a mess, done with LocaleDeveloper which means both admin and other translations are in the same unordered uncommented file, that it really needs to be started from a scratch in order it to be usefull.

Okay if you say so, but I can programmatically split it out as I've done with a bunch of other locales.

• SheilaSheila ✭✭
    edited June 2012

Ok, didn't know that. Super! Certainly makes the task easier.

edit: Sent you a link to Finnish localisation file in private message.

• HalfCatHalfCat ✭✭
    edited June 2012

Great stuff! I was just about to start my own german localisation as the current one is way outdated and also I disagree on many of the translations...

I applied and will be contributing largely over the next few months ;)

• italian language, here we are

• HalfCatHalfCat ✭✭
    edited June 2012

Thanks for accepting my application. I have a small question: Do we actually have to translate strings like "Activity.AboutUpdate.FullHeadline"? I would say no, but then I was thinking why are they listed if this should be left as-is...

• @Todd This makes me so happy! We we mailed about this in november 2011 and now it is happening. I will try to contribute with the swedish translation (will register when i am not on my iPhone).
    @Sheriffen @Patrik @KluddKalle @Krigsholm @yusf @setomidor @oscar its time to put a great translation together!

Don't worry about stuff like Activity.AboutUpdate.FullHeadline until you see English come in through them. I still have to clean up some of the strings, but seeing what does and doesn't get translated will help that a lot.

• HalfCatHalfCat ✭✭
    edited June 2012

@Todd: Thanks for your answer. I am currently done with the core (German localization), so you can check that out to see the missing strings. In the meantime I'm working on the dashboard ;)

BTW: Thanks again for this great improvement on translation works!

via Email
    Awesome. You're a star.
  • SheilaSheila ✭✭

HalfCat said:
    I am currently done with the core (German localization)

>

You passed me! For the whole weekend I was second best with my Finnish translation. Gongrats! :)

• HalfCatHalfCat ✭✭
    edited June 2012

@Sheila: Thanks mate, I had a little time on my hands ;)

@Todd: There is a bug with the date formatting:

%e. %B, %Y %l:%M%p

cannot be "translated" as strings starting with % cannot be replaced other than the same string, meaning that %l cannot be replaced by %H. Also %p cannot be removed as the number of %-strings has to be the same in the translation and the original. Another bug concerning dates: the setlocale() is still set to English, which causes the date to be displayed in English, e.g. "26. June" instead of "26. Juni".

I think making date translation more friendly is a longer term goal. I'm looking into the setlocale() problem now though.

• Thanks for looking into it. There are some more problems I came up with:

%1$s changed %6$s profile picture.
    %1$s updated %6$s profile.

These lines cannot be translated correctly as in German we use a different verb form in case that %1$s is "you" or "someone else".

• I sent my request for the Arabic translation. :)

• gass3ngass3n New
    edited June 2012

ok, I just need to finish the translation, after I'll take care of graphic design.

• Hi, @Todd, I'm the current maintainer for brazilian portuguese translations.

These files are quite different from the ones used (captured) in current stable versions of Vanilla. They will be used in the next version for sure. Is it possible to take a sneak peak in this version for fine-tuning the translations? If yes, which branch of GitHub we should download?