We had to put together our own exporter for SMF, and figured we'd share with the community. There are some important caveats to be aware of though. If you ignore these warnings, you may damage your Vanilla installation.
- The exporter uses the reset password method. This means your forum members will LOSE their passwords. When the members return, Vanilla will inform them that they need to reset their password. The process is simple and relatively painless.
- The importer doesn't support the reset method yet. You will need to make the modifications mentioned at http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/12993/importer-tweak-allow-reset-password-type. Failure to make this change will cause the importer to corrupt your Vanilla Admin account. If you ignored this warning already, you can probably recover using a password reset.
- The 'reset' password type has an implementation bug that has to be patched, or your users will be unable to complete the reset. The modifications required can be found at http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/13019/bug-with-reset-password-type
- This code is provided AS IS. We cannot and will not continue to develop or support it, however, we hope that it may become a solid starting point for an SMF exporter to be officially included as part of Vanilla.
- This code worked on our forum, but there is no guarantee that it will work on yours. It does a good job of exporting most of the supported data, and should be pretty stable, but it's probably not perfect. If you have problems, please use your own development assets to troubleshoot them.
- If you make enhancements or fix bugs, it would be nice if you shared them here for future users.
If you understand and agree to the above, you can download the exporter with SMF support here:http://www.priacta.com/code/vanilla/vanilla2export-with-smf.zip
7 • •