Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

[Solved] How do I add elements beside the Discussion Title?

tonextonex New
edited July 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

How do I add elements beside the Discussion Title (not below it)? It can be anything - text, link, etc. I am actually thinking of putting the Front Page Discussions Pagination plugin beside the Discussion Title, instead of below it.

Thanks.

Best Answer

• ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    Answer ✓

The title anchor is display: block via css. You can change it back to display: inline in your theme and then whatever you echo in the AfterDiscussionTitle event will show up beside it.

Answers

• 422422 Developer MVP

Can you post mockup image of what you are after?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Like this..

• 422422 Developer MVP

Use css. But what kind of elements, you seem to have a specific theme and a wooly question lol.

• The 'Fleet Rules' and 'Fleet Officers' titles do have the < DIV > element with the class .Title This is the code in the .css file, according to FireBug: .DataList .Title {
    display: block;
    font-size: 14px;
    font-weight: bold;
    margin: 0;
    }

The 'display' is set to 'block' and I don't know if inside that block you can add another < DIV > element (@427 will know)

• if @427 doesn't know his older brother @429 should know (just furthering Sheila's joke posted somewhere else.)

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• tonextonex New
    edited July 2012

UnderDog
    The 'Fleet Rules' and 'Fleet Officers' titles do have the < DIV > element with the class .Title This is the code in the .css file, according to FireBug: .DataList .Title {

display: block;
        font-size: 14px;
        font-weight: bold;
        margin: 0;
    }

The 'display' is set to 'block' and I don't know if inside that block you can add another < DIV > element (@427 will know)

Yes, I've seen that code. The pagination plugin uses < span > after the discussion title < div > but since the < div > uses display:block, the < span > is forced below the < div >. Setting the < div > to display: inline doesn't fix it.

• wrap them both in a span.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2012

post a link to your site.

try modifying helper_functions.php

<?php echo Anchor($DiscussionName, $DiscussionUrl, 'Title'); ?>
          <?php $Sender->FireEvent('AfterDiscussionTitle'); ?>

depending on how you added paging fire it off with AfterDiscussionTitle
    or append it.

• so what's the problem.

• That's a hack. I need the pagination / page navigation right after the discussion title and not at a static location on the right side.

• tonex said:
    I need the pagination / page navigation right after the discussion title and not at a static location on the right side.

Oh, for crying out loud! @tonex you need to find out a little bit more yourself, man. Now you're just sitting here with your hands in the air, telling what you need, you need to show a little more effort.

Your spans have absolute positioning, that's 1. peregrine said that you also needed to put the title in a span (that's 2). Now what you need to do is to figure out how you can place both spans in such a way that you like it (50% / 50% ? ).

Say what you think you need to do.

Try it and see what happens.

Use FireFox.

Use the FireBug plugin of FireFox.

• UnderDog said:

tonex said:
    I need the pagination / page navigation right after the discussion title and not at a static location on the right side.

Oh, for crying out loud! @tonex you need to find out a little bit more yourself, man. Now you're just sitting here with your hands in the air, telling what you need, you need to show a little more effort.

Of course I try find out a little bit on my own. That's why I managed a hack. I am telling this here while I find the solution myself. I know how this process works. The position: absolute is the hack.

I don't know how you figured I am raising my hands in the air.

• Also, I am thinking of what peregrine is saying. I am always studying my options. I am trying to find a way to not touch the view as much as possible, just the CSS and perhaps modifying the plugin so that it uses the proper events.

• ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    Answer ✓

The title anchor is display: block via css. You can change it back to display: inline in your theme and then whatever you echo in the AfterDiscussionTitle event will show up beside it.

• I already stated above that it doesn't work. It just messes up the discussion list... but I'll take a look at it again.

• Hold that thought... I fixed it... but I'm about to go mobile. I'll explain it later.

• It turns out Todd and Underdog are correct. I was taking a hard look at display: inline all this time but was not sure which selector was responsible.

I thought .DataList .ItemContent was it but as Todd and Underdog pointed out, .DataList a.Title is the right selector.

The only (minor) problem is, by setting display: inline, the discussion title (if very long) flows to the right side overlapping the "options" FlyOut Menu but I can live with that. (Or perhaps that's another issue to tackle.)

• couldn't you assign a higher z-index to the Flyout menu so it floats over the title instead of the other way around if that is what you want.

• It floats over the title. I just didn't know if there's such a word as underlap. Like, the title underlaps the flyout menu. :P