Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Date issue porting phpbb2 to Vanilla

sejosejo New
edited July 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Recently i moved my community of around 680000 messages and 3500 users from phpbb2 to vanilla, everything was ok except for post timestamp, moving the pointer over post time shows no time details but month and year. In adittion topics are shown in wrong order, most recent post are in last pages.

Therefore i make conversion from phpbb2 to phpbb3, and then to vanilla. That gave me better results. Topics show in correct order, but when i want to see comments of a single topic, its empty. However topic shows i.e. "23 comments".

Using phpMyAdmin to check Vanilla database i realize that post content is on every row of post table.

Also it called my attention that phpbb2 Vanilla Porter file size is larger than phpbb3, ~71MB vs ~35MB.

I need your help cause i really really want to give a try to Vanilla Forums.

Comments

• Options
    ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff

First question: does GDN_Comment contain any data after the import?

• Options

Yep. Has all comments.

• Options

Let's focus on 1 discussion and comment that you transferred from phpbb2 / phpbb3 to Vanilla. You most likely need to tell the information you see on your screen in Vanilla and then the exact information (discussion ID, Comment ID, etc) in phpMyAdmin.

sejo said:
    moving the pointer over post time shows no time details but month and year.

Which month and year do you see with that post?
    What is the address you are looking at? Is it /discussions or is it /discussion/123/this-is-my-discussion.
    If you look in phpMyAdmin for that discussion which information do you see?
    Do you see the field 'Body' and is that filled with text?

In adittion topics are shown in wrong order, most recent post are in last pages.

Do you have any special plugins active? Is it a clean install of vanilla without plugins or did you install a couple of plugins?

but when i want to see comments of a single topic, its empty. However topic shows i.e. "23 comments".

Do you see in the Discussions table the field 'Body' and is that filled with text?

Using phpMyAdmin to check Vanilla database i realize that post content is on every row of post table.

Interesting. Do you mean the discussions table?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options

If I am not wrong.... (famous last words).

in the Discussions table - two fields have a major impact on date shown and positioning within the discussions topics.

DateLastComment -

affects the position (assuming you are not using reversecomment sort plugin or sink or announce) - the most recent date in the table floats the discussion to the top

DateInserted -

affects the date shown on the topic on discussion page and within the discussion.

DateInserted -

will not show the time for discussions that are a day old.
    will not show year if the the discussion has a date for the
    current year. You need to modify vanilla if you want to change those parameters.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    422422 Developer MVP

youd think it would default to epoch 1970 date/time

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2012

422 said:
    youd think it would default to epoch 1970 date/time

I don't know how the plugin works but he could easily set all the dates in a field with an update command putting a now() in the update field setting

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/20838

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/163813/#Comment_163813

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

UnderDog said:
    Let's focus on 1 discussion and comment that you transferred from phpbb2 / phpbb3 to Vanilla. You most likely need to tell the information you see on your screen in Vanilla and then the exact information (discussion ID, Comment ID, etc) in phpMyAdmin.

sejo said:
    moving the pointer over post time shows no time details but month and year.

Which month and year do you see with that post?
    What is the address you are looking at? Is it /discussions or is it /discussion/123/this-is-my-discussion.
    If you look in phpMyAdmin for that discussion which information do you see?
    Do you see the field 'Body' and is that filled with text?

The date i see is July 2011, and viewing font code of page there is a body field.

In adittion topics are shown in wrong order, most recent post are in last pages.

Do you have any special plugins active? Is it a clean install of vanilla without plugins or did you install a couple of plugins?

Yes, i have some plugins active in the phpbb2 port, but in phpbb3 none.

but when i want to see comments of a single topic, its empty. However topic shows i.e. "23 comments".

Do you see in the Discussions table the field 'Body' and is that filled with text?

Yes i can see it.

Interesting. Do you mean the discussions table?

>
    Discussion and Comment table.