Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

what is the vanillaforums.org discussion plugins , theme , etc?

edited August 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

what is name the vanillaforums.org discussion Editor ?and how to download ?
what is name the vanillaforums.org discussion theme ?and how to download ?
what is name the vanillaforums.org discussion of reactions plugin ?
i see in profile :
Reactions
Off Topic Insightful Awesome LOL Spam Abuse Troll
and under any post

and how to download ?

Comments

• only the first you can download called button bar, look on plugins.

grep is your friend.

• x00 great
    tnq

what is name the vanillaforums.org discussion theme ?and how to download ?
    what is name the vanillaforums.org discussion of reactions plugin ?
    i see in profile :
    Reactions

Off Topic Insightful Awesome LOL Spam Abuse Troll

and under any post

and how to download ?

• I repeat

only the first you can download

grep is your friend.

• x00
    I repeat
    only the first you can download

why ???

• x00x00 MVP
    edited August 2012

saeedvanilla said:
    why ???

why not?

They don't have to release everything, it is not part of the core. There plenty to choose from.

grep is your friend.

• 422422 Developer MVP

What about badges?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• I think Vanilla is the only web application in the world that its main support forum is different from the released product!

• x00x00 MVP
    edited August 2012

queue entitlement syndrome...

I think Vanilla is the only web application in the world that its main support forum is different from the released product!

Patently false, most large web application these days are framework/tool kit based, and by virtue of that implementations can be totally different and unique.

Vanilla being Vanilla is not going to put the default theme on its support site. They have already included another really nice theme called bitter sweet, there are loads of themes to choose from, and the sky is the limit if you are willing to put in some effort.

You’re asking Vanilla to release this, yet they don’t put a requirement on you do the same. It is called choice. It is a two way thing. Not just take.

Rule of thumb: If it is not released, it is not distributed, you don't have to support wingers .

grep is your friend.

• What I don't understand is why Vanilla chooses to withhold fully developed features from it's community (ex. Badges, polls, etc). The fact that they want to monetize and offer a hosting solution is great, but keeping features to themselves seems to be somewhat counterproductive when it comes to an open source software.

If you release features to your community, then they will help support them and further develop them. The people that want a hosted solution aren't looking for special features as much as they're looking for a supported solution in which they don't have to do a lot of the grunt work required in setting up a fully customized forum. Furthermore, it seems as though the community has contributed many features and insights that have found their way into major versions of Vanilla. Is there any reason to believe that releasing these hosted features to the community would do anything but BENEFIT the software and it's development?

I've been wanting to ask this question, what happens when someone decides to write a badges plugin? Will it be allowed as a public addon?

• 422422 Developer MVP
    edited August 2012

Think of it as wine tasting.

The free give away glass of plonk.

Or the full bottle at a price.

Simple. When you buy something for nothing, you get what you are given !

• 422 said:

Who said we are grabbing Badges, etc for free? Why not purchasable plugins? I'm the first one who will buy Badges, if I can afford it!

• 422422 Developer MVP

Listen this is tedious, a search of the forums. Reading posts and discussions will no doubt explain Vanilla stance on this.

If you wish to have pretty badges then post a job request , state your budget and see if you get any takers.

• 422422 Developer MVP

Roben said:

422 said:

Who said we are grabbing Badges, etc for free? Why not purchasable plugins? I'm the first one who will buy Badges, if I can afford it!

Why quote me , out of context ?

If you quote someone, its generally not cool to retort with a reply that has nothing to do with what you are quoting or whom you are referencing, furthemore not everything is for sale.

• @422

Nothing you've said has actually refuted my initial point, which was (more or less), what does Vanilla have to lose by offering Badges (and other features) as open source plugins to the community? Until I hear that Vanilla has a substantial number of hosted customers who's sole purpose for purchasing a their service was to get the additional features, then I'm just not convinced that keeping the features proprietary is doing them any good (financially speaking). If that is in fact the case, then I rest mine.

I'll say this again, as a developer of an open source platform, keeping certain features proprietary just seems counterproductive. Wordpress is a great example of a platform that offers a commercial hosting with services that you can individually pay for. Although I'd love to see Badges, Reactions, etc be freely offered, they certainly do not command a $50 a month price tag. Even Wordpress's most pricey services are either a one time payment or yearly payment of less than $50.

• 422422 Developer MVP

Your missing the point.

Wormpress offers a opensrc blog thing.

Wormpress members create plugins. Some cost money.

Like I said if you want to have pretty badges , then PAY someone to do it. Simple. Vanilla have stated on many many occasions Badges will not be released as a paid for plugin / module or otherwise to the open src community.

Continuously debating this isnt gonna bully them into submission.

• I'm certainly not missing the point, nor is anyone trying to bully them into submission. I'm arguing the idea that it is counterproductive to not release them as free or paid plugins.

And if I want badges (which are a requirement of my current project) I'm just going to develop the plugin myself. One of my initial questions was "what happens when someone releases a badges plugin". If I choose to develop it, then I'll just offer it as an affordable paid plugin, at which point people presumably lose incentive to purchase the hosted service (I'm assuming that because no one has provided any explanation as to why they wont release, thus I assume it is because the plugin commands a large number of new customers).

• 422422 Developer MVP

Youve answered your own argument. Make it yourself, release as a paid plugin and you benefit from your hard work :)

• I've been wanting to ask this question, what happens when someone decides to write a badges plugin? Will it be allowed as a public addon?

google search vanillaforums.com badges

This subject has beaten like a dead horse. Your arm is going to get tired and the horse is not going to get up.

reminds me of the title of this song. Move Along, Get Along

http://www.allthelyrics.com/lyrics/tommy_makem/move_along_get_along-lyrics-1130999.html

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• The people that want a hosted solution aren't looking for special features as much as they're looking for a supported solution in which they don't have to do a lot of the grunt work required in setting up a fully customized forum.

Wrong again, those on the higher tier are basically wanting a full managed dedicated solution, those on all tiers expect special features, and those are USPs. Paying customers obviously get priority.

Non distributed software, is set up for a specific environment, that gives them deployment experience, and they can experiment with features without the extra work how having to support people, who are not funding those. The hosted solution is what bank rolls everything.

grep is your friend.

• edited August 2012
This discussion has been closed.