Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Plugin folder in Vanilla is read only.

roncarverroncarver New
edited August 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I tried to change the folder permissions and will not accept the changes.
I want to ulpad a folder called FileUpload ( a plugin)
How can I upload this folder or the original zip?

Comments

• Options
    422422 Developer MVP

Download the plugin.

Unzip locally. Open the zip.

Upload contents which should be a folder called fileupload to your plugins directory.

Goto dashboard and enable the plugin.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options

Thanks for responding, but the issue is that I can not write in the plugin folder. When I try to write to the plugin folder of vanilla, it says that parent is for read only.
    I tried to change the permissions, but repeats the error. Please advise for a solution.

• Options

post the exact error message.

change the parent permissions - also what directory is the parent.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

Attached is the error, trying to create the uploadfie in plugins

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited August 2012

check the permissions on the plugin folder and change if necessary so you can add a folder to it

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

Thanks fo taking the time. As I try to do your suggestion, this is what I get: error.
    changing the numbers to 777 of changing the - to +.
    I tried it at the top level folder too, app427798350.
    See attached.

• Options

Upon further look, I found the reason. I have a host named 1&1 and they provide Vanilla as a forum software. They do not allow to add any plugins to what is supplied of any software under "click&build", one of them is Vainilla. Any suggestion or work around this problem?

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited August 2012

weave your way through this discussion - the solution is there towards the end.

if you have more issues contact @422 or @underdog- he has more patience with how to use basic ftp software then I do :)

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/164909/#Comment_164909

just replace the word themes with plugins mentally, when you follow the discussion and it will show you the technique so to speak.

• Options

I will follow the instructions indicated in that link.
    Many Thanks for pointing it.

• Options

First I did delete the original installation. and proceed to install Vanilla following the
    instructions in :
    http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/19915/deploying-a-new-forum-and-adding-a-theme-for-everyone
    They worked perfect. It was great.

Thanks for that detail installation.

Now back to my original problem of adding the capability of uploading pictures or text files.
    I did add the plugin Fileupload to the installation. I see in the tool bar an option to load picture. When clicked it ask for a url.
    Is this the plugin I did install?
    I want to have the option just like this forum with an option at the end of the comment "attach a file".

• Options

Never mind, I found the reason for not showing the option in the Comment entry.
    I went to the dashboard & at the plugins and I did edit the options under it.
    It does show now.