Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Discussions forum taking a long time to load?

edited August 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I have a custom forum (work in progress) setup here. It seems that the speed is rather slow, are there solutions to this or is there something I'm doing wrong? http://new.fearofmobs.com/forum/

Comments

• :) seems faster than anyone else's I've tried. nice job

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• 422422 Developer MVP
    edited August 2012

Doesnt fully load on ipad, so suspect you have an error or unclosed elements will test on pc

edit: nope loads fast and clean on pc.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• WOW, loads fast man! Seemed like just 1 image loaded, it was that fast. Strange that only you are experiencing the slowness...

(offtopic) It's an embedded site, isn't it? (/offtopic)

• Oh, oddly it seems faster now haha, thanks guys.

@UnderDog it's a custom theme that I'm basing off my website design.

• charliebobgordon said:
    @UnderDog it's a custom theme that I'm basing off my website design.

Yep, I figured that since I saw a couple of design errors (float problems, I think), I hope @422 has the time to give you some pointers on that :-)

• @UnderDog as noted in my original post it's a work in progress ;), still have many things to style up and stuff, I just noticed it was being slow whilst working on it.

• So you've got a fast host provider, nginx, and varnish. Which do you think is the biggest factor for speed in your case.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Not sure what those second two were sorry :/

• your host apparently using nginx instead of apache

you may be aware of this:

you create a page to find all your parameters if it interests you

http://docs.simplemachines.org/index.php?topic=479.0

http://php.net/manual/en/function.phpinfo.php

• Oh ok, why is it doing this? Would it be better on Apache, and if so how do I do this?

Thanks!

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited August 2012

no you don't change it, you've got the best. nginx is supposed to be the cream of the crop. But the phpinfo - will tell you all about what you have. If you like that kind of thing.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/166053/#Comment_166053

google it.

• Apache is the most popular web server on the planet, and is the web server equivalent of Microsoft Word--it does tons and tons and tons of stuff, but few sites need all of the features it provides. Nginx is an event-based web server which is simpler and (usually) much faster for just about every workload. Nginx is almost always a better choice, especially in resource-constrained environments (like shared hosting or a small VPS).

Varnish is an HTTP accelerator--it's a reverse-proxy which caches some or all of your web site in RAM so it can be served out very quickly without having to bother the actual web server application. Lots and lots of large web sites use Varnish to serve the majority of their content because it can be ridiculously fast.

Vanilla benefits a lot from being hosted on Nginx + php-fpm, versus the more common Apache + mod_php setup. Adding a correctly-configured Varnish cache into the mix for static elements can further boost performance.

So, no, don't try to switch from Nginx to Apache, unless you actually need to do so :)

• I've notice the first visit of the day loads much more slowly than subsequent visits. I suspect this has something to do with how Vanilla builds its cache.