Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

"Bonk" error occurs while applying Embed-Friendly theme.

edited May 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Hi everyone,

My website uses only vanilla forum and nothing else; and I wanted to use Embed-Friendly theme for it.

When I applied Embed-Friendly theme to my forum, "Bonk" error occured. Does anyone faces the same situtation or know how to solve it?

Comments

• yep I got the same error, then I deleted it...
  • Oh. But how do you embed your forum then?

And let me mention here that same error occurs when I open my site from a mobile device. I guess, something wrong in vanilla settings, instead of in themes. I recently updated vanilla to newest version. Otherwise my forum was working great.
  • I am having the same problem. I did a fresh install of the latest 2.0.18 beta 2 with the intent of testing a Wordpress embed. No plugins besides the default set are installed. If I change the theme to anything other than the default Vanilla theme, I get a bonk. This is both through an embedded Wordpress page and through a standalone Vanilla link. I set the debug configuration in config.php but no additional info was outputted.
  • I had the same problem. Here's how I solved it:

QUICK ANSWER: Although, /cache/ was writable on my webserver, /cache/Smarty/compile/ was not. Therefore, activating any theme other than the default created the "Bonk" error. I made that dir writable and all was well.

REGARDING ERROR MESSAGES:
    If you want to get a detailed error message (i.e. something other than the "Bonk" screen), change the following in /conf/config.php:

ORIGINAL "BONK" MSG:
    $Configuration['Garden']['Errors']['MasterView'] = 'error.master.php';

VERBOSE ERROR MSG:
    $Configuration['Garden']['Errors']['MasterView'] = 'deverror.master.php';
  • @mwender said:

REGARDING ERROR MESSAGES:

If you want to get a detailed error message (i.e. something other than the "Bonk" screen), change the following in /conf/config.php:

ORIGINAL "BONK" MSG:
    $Configuration['Garden']['Errors']['MasterView'] = 'error.master.php';

VERBOSE ERROR MSG:
    $Configuration['Garden']['Errors']['MasterView'] = 'deverror.master.php';

I tried to change the "BONK" Msg in the /conf/config.php but I cannot find any line that has ['Garden'] ['Errors'] etc. (although I do get the BONK error). Any suggestions?

• you add the lines! in your config.php

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• I added the lines & finally got it to work. Thanks. I thought that since the post said ORIGINAL "BONK" MSG it would already be part of the config.php file.

• if somebody posts a config line and the line it is not in your file - you just add it.
    If it exists but the parameter on the right side of the equal sign is different you just modify the parameter.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.