HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

How to get users (or not) to complain that your plugin doesn't work in vanilla 2.1 w/ Deprecations

peregrineperegrine MVP
edited November 2012 in Feedback

anybody want to click promote on this message - so we don't get more plugins that will fail in vanilla 2.1

this public service announcement is for the last few people who posted plugins -

change &$Sender to $Sender in your plugin code

it may not work in vanilla 2.1 simply because you added an & before the $Sender

and some deprecations

applications/dashboard/controllers/class.activitycontroller.php:            Deprecated('ActivityController->CommentData', "ActivityController->Data('Activities')");
applications/dashboard/models/class.usermodel.php:         Deprecated('UserModel->Get()', 'UserModel->GetID()');
applications/vanilla/locale/en-CA/definitions.php:// Deprecated Translations
applications/vanilla/controllers/class.categoriescontroller.php://            Deprecated('CategoriesController->CategoryData', "CategoriesController->Data('Categories')");
applications/vanilla/controllers/class.discussioncontroller.php:            Deprecated('DiscussionController->CommentData', "DiscussionController->Data('Comments')");
applications/vanilla/controllers/old-class.categoriescontroller.ph:            Deprecated('CategoriesController->CategoryData', "CategoriesController->Data('Categories')");
applications/vanilla/models/class.categorymodel.php:      Deprecated('CategoryModel::GetDescendantsByCode', 'CategoryModel::GetAncestors');
applications/conversations/locale/en-CA/definitions.php:// Deprecated Translations

anybody want to click promote on this message - so we don't get more plugins that will fail in vanilla 2.1

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

Comments

• if somebody clicked promote - this message would be on the best of page and we might not see this problem recurring daily. And new developers might read this.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• mcu_hqmcu_hq yippie ki-yay ✭✭✭

I don't see a promote button though..

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2012

thanks for the heads up @mcu_hq.
    Ah, that must be the problem, why no one will cooperate, because the people who could don't have a promote button option :) -
    I guess levels (possibly based on points) get a promote option that will throw things in to the best of.

@422 or @hbf or @Todd - want to click.

or

@Todd - can't can you make an announcement about some of these gotchas for vanilla 2.1. It sure would save people wasting their time downloading plugins and and uploading plugin revisions. Nag,nag, as I mentioned this months ago, when I discovered it. :).

It would also be cool -

if people added Events that need to be changed or added for plugin to make it work in vanilla 2.1

and we could have a running tally in the same thread if something like this were an announcement.

e.g.
    changing this 
    // public function DiscussionController_CommentInfo_Handler($Sender) {

to this in some cases
    public function DiscussionController_AuthorInfo_Handler($Sender) 

• as 422 would have said goodonya @hbf

• fh111fh111 Vanilla Padawan ✭✭

oh that's too bad, i lost my promote button :(

can't the users that once had it keep it?

• figured its time for a bump, as some have not seen this.

• the way not to get them to complain is throw an exception in setup telling them to wait lol

grep is your friend.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator
    edited March 2013

@peregrine said:
    figured its time for a bump, as some have not seen this.

figured it was time to put a reference on the wiki.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP
    edited March 2013

Wow!

Didn't realise I had that super power.

Maybe I am a superhero after all...

• Thanks for the post.

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• bump.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2013

sometimes the requirement of version number in a plugin is there for a purpose.

you can try removing requirement, but just because you did - DOES NOT mean the plugin will work.

other issues that prevent plugin from working in a particular version is different events, different functions, etc. etc.

If the plugin maker expressly wrote the software for 2.1 and knows for a fact that it will not work in a previous version. They will note that in the plugin. The requirement is not there for devious means. Although sometimes untested plugins may have a false requirement. But if the developer says in the description it will not work in previous versions without major mods - it might be nice to just accept the fact. Not every backport is efficient.

it goes both ways

• porting a 2.1 plugin to 2.0.18 may be alot of work
    • and porting a 2.0.18 plugin to 2.1 may be alot of work.
    • perhaps more work than the original developer wants to do for free.