Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

What your "confirmation email ratio" like?

Hey guys,

My forum is starting to get some traction. But a lot of my users have not confirmed their email. About 50% of the people who sign up still have their status as "confirmation email".

Is this normal? What is your confirmation email ratio?

Comments

• Options

I've rarely had people who didn't get their confirmation email. Are they going into spam folders on the big webmail clients perhaps?

The other reason is spammers. 99% of my users who haven't confirmed email are simply bots who haven't, or can't.

• Options

Unless you want a valid e-mail. It might be worth turning off confirm e-mail, setting up approval, and installing botstop plugin. Best of both worlds, users can login without valid e-mail , you block bots, and you decide who you are going to approve. Unless you find things becoming overrun by spammers or unwanted users. - you might increase your user count (good as well as possibly bad.)

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

Actually I do want valid emails for marketing purposes... but that botstop plugin looks like a good alternative to recaptcha (which I think is annoying).

It seems my confirmation emails were going to spam. I have configured Mandrill.com SMTP to handle outgoing email, seems to have fixed the problem. Also it's free for first 12k emails a month so should cover me for now.

Lets hope it improves :)