Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Groups

13»

Comments

• @timfire said:
    I haven't given up on it, but things keep coming up that demand my attention. At the moment I'm leery and giving a timeline, because as soon as I do I'm sure something else will come up. All I can say is if my schedule stays open, it wouldn't take me too long to finish it up...

hej, would be really interesting to see the results of your work, if there are any?

• I really do like Vanilla, but this is the one thing that Vanilla is missing yet could really benefit from. We've been trying to develop a plugin or application, and hacking the hell out of my Vanilla install for the past 7 months trying to get the exact same thing described by @timfire. We finally gave up this past weekend, searched around for another light platform, and finally resolved to just write a whole new platform from the ground up.

If this were available, even if only partially complete, that would be awsome. But it appears that @timefire has been inactive since 2009 and has likely moved on.

As a forum software Vanilla is really, really nice, but the concept of online communities has out grown forum and blogging platforms. As a platform to build on, Vanilla is messy, time consuming, poorly documented, and difficult to work with. However, we'll still use it for some of our projects, at least for now.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

@evilgeniustweet said:
    the concept of online communities has out grown forum and blogging platforms.

Your notion of them, perhaps.

@evilgeniustweet said:
    Vanilla is messy, time consuming, poorly documented, and difficult to work with.

Well, I agree with the poorly documented part at least.

• @evilgeniustweet said:
    As a forum software Vanilla is really, really nice, but the concept of online communities has out grown forum and blogging platforms. As a platform to build on, Vanilla is messy, time consuming, poorly documented, and difficult to work with. However, we'll still use it for some of our projects, at least for now.

Yeah, with a forum you have to put in work to build a community and structure it in the best way for your members. But in the brave new world of social networks your users will spontaneously self-organise and do all the work while you just watch the cash roll in. Sweet!

• @Lincoln said:
    Your notion of them, perhaps.

No sense arguing that.

@Lincoln said:
    Well, I agree with the poorly documented part at least.

As a core developer with 3+ years experiences with the platform and any changes during that time, I'm sure you know your way around the code pretty good. For anyone outside your circle though it's certainly another ball game... poor documentation is only where the difficulties begin.

@50sQuiff said:
    Yeah, with a forum you have to put in work to build a community and structure it in the best way for your members. But in the brave new world of social networks your users will spontaneously self-organise and do all the work while you just watch the cash roll in. Sweet!

On one hand - LOL... on another, not sure how this comment should be interpreted. Social networks is just another buz word for online communities... and has also evolved from from your brave new world.

@Lincoln I'm assuming that, as one of the developers, your comments shouldn't be mistaken as cynicism... and @50sQuiff I'm assuming that you're sarcasm is meant as light humor only. I try my hardest to see good in things, if I'm mistaken please let me know.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2012

@evilgeniustweet

We ..... finally resolved to just write a whole new platform from the ground up.

Sweet. when you get your new platform up and running open-source with good documentation, please post a link. I'm always interested in these things. How soon do you expect it to be out the door and will badges and reactions be available. :) Although I don't think I will ever give up on vanilla, I like it too much. A bit tongue-in-cheek, but all the best.

Btw - badges and reactions is an inside joke - (all the people asking for it from the developers and not accepting the fact that it will only be available for hosted solutions). I believe someone is beginning to develop it as a plugin.

I'm not asking for it.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• @peregrine as a forum platform, I like Vanilla a lot as well. Writing a new platform is no small matter so I'm sure it'll take some time to get something out the door. Our focus is on building group spaces, but what we end up with is unpredictable right now. Although I don't really see the same value in badges and reactions, maybe someday you or someone else will come and write a plugin for it.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited December 2012

@evilgeniustweet I started getting familiar with Vanilla by writing inline documentation and submitting it as pull requests to the project thru GitHub. Honestly, I found working with the Vanilla framework to be dark magical greased lightning and it drives me nuts trying to code without it anymore. So, no, I really don't understand the rest of your broad-stroke critique.

You have no idea how much I wish I could stop what I'm working on to write awesome docs and tutorials. It just ain't in the cards for 2012.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited December 2012

If someone wants groups, they can use embed vanilla into wordpress and add the
    groups plugin. Or hack the plugin ;)

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/groups/

http://www.itthinx.com/plugins/groups/

• phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP

I'm also looking for a groups option. Recently i had the idea that users should use the tags option for assigning a group.

I do not use tags right now, but my users definitly would like to go local or find each other in the same area. So i thought it might be an idea to ask them to put their city or state into the tags, if they like to post something that has a regional relation. Automatically you have some kind of relational ordering and also discussions appear according to tags if you click them.

This is also possible with different other things like birthyears of babys or car companies and so on. You just have to explain the functionality very clear to your users. Well, thats not exactly groups.. but it groups interests together. So just an idea to share.

But i'd definitly love to see a cool groups function within Vanilla.

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla