Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Customizing Messages

When I log out I get:

You are attempting to sign out of Vanilla. Are you sure you want to sign out?>

How can I change that to my site name?

Comments

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2012

read the numerous messages on changing definitions

then apply this definition.

$Definition['You are attempting to sign out of Vanilla. Are you sure you want to %s?'] = 'You are attempting to sign out of GSTAR. Are you sure you want to %s?'

how do you like the 9 minute response to question time?

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• OK I've found a discussion that points me to:

/application/dashboard/locale/en-CA/definitions.php

But in there I do not find that "definition"

You response time is fascinating, well deserved awesome!! :)

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2012

Like anything else, if you don't see a definition in a definition file , you add it.

you could also put it in conf/locale.php

<?php if (!defined('APPLICATION')) exit();

$Definition['You are attempting to sign out of Vanilla. Are you sure you want to %s?'] = 'You are attempting to sign out of GSTAR. Are you sure you want to %s?'

if the file doesn't exist - create it. Make a backup of your changes to locale.php because locale.php will get overwritten when you upgrade.

7 minute response time :).

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• gstargstar New
    edited December 2012

OK I added it to definitions.php and get:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected $end in /home/XXXX/domains/XXXXXX/public_html/applications/dashboard/locale/en-CA/definitions.php on line 179

• oops. add a semi-colon to the end of definition

$Definition['You are attempting to sign out of Vanilla. Are you sure you want to %s?'] = 'You are attempting to sign out of GSTAR. Are you sure you want to %s?';

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2012

sometime the answers from a short response time result in typos. My automated question answering program had a bug in it. :)

I think the general consensus is, the better place to change definitions is in your theme, or plugin,or locale.php. But whatever works for you.

rather than /dashboard/locale/en-CA/definitions.php

• OK no more error message but also no more message when I log out?

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2012

what did you add and where did you add it?

Perhaps, you get the confirmation, is if you use the jsconnect or singlesignon.

Ususally there is no confirmation message if you just have straight up vanilla, as far as I can tell.

• I added your code at the end of definitions.php

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2012

Well, you could remove it, and see if your confirmation comes back.

changing the definition with the code, I suggested should not affect whether you get confirmation or not. It should only change the wording.

Perhaps, you get the confirmation, if you use the jsconnect or singlesignon.

Ususally there is no confirmation message if you just have straight up vanilla, as far as I can tell.

• I only have log in with FB, Twitter, etc.

The message comes when I sign out, but with the added code no more message.

All I want is to change "Vanilla" to "my site name"

• That is a security message, becuase the nonce "number used once" also known as TransientKey is not there or missing. This is to ensure the sign out came from you, and the transient key is there.

If you wait sufficient time the Transient Key will no long be valid hence the check.

hard coded sign out link will also trigger this message, as they don't include the Transient key which must be generated on the fly.

grep is your friend.

• prove it to yourself...

remove the definition - it has nothing to do with whether you see confirmation message as x00 indicated above.

• LOL... Ok???

So then what do I do to change the message to use "my site name" instead of "Vanilla"?

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2012

So then what do I do to change the message to use "my site name" instead of "Vanilla"?

it has already been answered here
    http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/171122/#Comment_171122
    http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/171119/#Comment_171119
    and explained here
    http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/171154/#Comment_171154
    make sure the semi-colon is at end of line.

the point is does removing the definition bring back the confirmation.
    My inclination is, it has nothing to do with the definition. The definition purely changes the wording, if you coded your definition in a similar way..

1) Post your definition!!!!!
    2) remove it from /dashboard/locale/en-CA/definitions.php

3) add it to locale.php as indicated above

4) remove the .ini files from your cache each time you change definition.

try it a few times and see.

repeat and rinse the following 6 steps a few times.

1)remove the definition from the locale.php.
    2) remove the .ini files from your cache each time you change definition.
    3) sign in
    4) sign out
    5) do you see confirmation?
    6) add the definition to the locale.php.

report your results.

• OK I'm confused...

First I was told to add it to definitions.php.

Then:

I think the general consensus is, the better place to change definitions is in your theme, or plugin,or locale.php. But whatever works for you.

rather than /dashboard/locale/en-CA/definitions.php

Can you confirm where is this locale.php file?

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2012

First I was told to add it to definitions.php.

not exactly, but ...

definitions in conf/locale.php are read last and override everything else, that is why I suggest this way, when you are having issues.

after you remove the definition from here /dashboard/locale/en-CA/definitions.php

and create it as explained here.
    http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/171119/#Comment_171119
    and add the semi-colon.

after you have done above ...go here.
    http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/171160/#Comment_171160

best I can do on this one. good luck.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited December 2012

many definitions are located in applications/dashboard/locale/en-CA as is in my case for my locale . Locale has to do with the geographic location's language. If I understand correctly, you can change a definition i.e. the words like this example or add it to the existing locale file:

$Definition['EmailWelcomeConnect'] = 'CONGRATULATIONS PAL You have successfully connected to {Title}. Here is your information:

Username: {User.Name}
      Connected With: {ProviderName}

You can access the site at {/,exurl,domain}.';

$Definition['EmailHeader'] = 'Greetings Program {User.Name}!
    ';

$Definition['EmailMembershipApproved'] = 'Get the hell out %1$s,

You have been approved for membership. Sign in at once at the following link, sucker :

%2$s';

@x00 said:
    That is a security message, becuase the nonce "number used once" also known as TransientKey is not there or missing. This is to ensure the sign out came from you, and the transient key is there.

If you wait sufficient time the Transient Key will no long be valid hence the check.

hard coded sign out link will also trigger this message, as they don't include the Transient key which must be generated on the fly.

this is very true and it happens to me on occasion when signing out of Wordpress,Facebook but never from Vanilla. I don't think changing definitions has anything to do with this message in particular ,just as you explain.

edited December 2012

I have found where one can change the log out warning...

/forum/applications/dashboard/views/entry/signout.php

<?php if (!defined('APPLICATION')) exit();
    $Session = Gdn::Session();
    ?>

<?php echo T('Sign Out'); ?>

<?php if ($this->Leaving) { ?>
          <?php echo T('Leaving session.'); ?>
       <?php } else if ($Session->IsValid()) { ?>
          <?php printf(T('You are attempting to sign out of VrijVlinder. Are you sure you want to %s?'), Anchor(T('sign out'), SignOutUrl())); ?>
       <?php } else { ?>
          <?php echo T('You are signed out.'); ?>
       <?php } ?>

I am not sure how kosher it is doing it this way versus adding a new $Definition