Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Confirm email role missing on Register settings

Confirm email is listed as one of the roles (I guess it always has been) in Roles & Permissions screen, but it is missing in Register screen settings (see screenshots bellow).

If I create a new role, it also won't show at Register settings.

Was using 2.0.18.1, then I made the upgrade to 2.1b2 just to see if this would be fixed, but the problem persists.

Tagged:

Comments

• Screenshots are in brazilian portuguese, but I hope everything is intelligible.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2013

in the role for confirm email

do you have allow signin checked.

that may be the ticket.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• ShadowdareShadowdare r_j MVP
    edited October 2013

If what @peregrine suggested didn't work, then some of the values for the "Confirm Email" role probably have to be reset in the database, but please try the following for now.

You may be able to set the ConfirmEmailRole setting manually by opening the /conf/config.php file and then look for a line that starts with:

$Configuration['Garden']['Registration']['ConfirmEmailRole']

If the line doesn't exist, you must add the setting on a new line with the ID of your "Confirm Email" role. If you go the edit page of the role, the ID should be at the end of the link to the page.

For example:

$Configuration['Garden']['Registration']['ConfirmEmailRole'] = '3';

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• raphaa00raphaa00 New
    edited October 2013

Thanks, @peregrine, but settings for Confirm email role seems to be limited and there are nothing that resembles "allow signin". It should have?

@Shadowdare, there are two lines in my config file:

$Configuration['Garden']['Registration']['ConfirmEmailRole'] = '8';
       $Configuration['Garden']['Registration']['ConfirmEmail'] = FALSE;

'8' is pointing to the Members role, but strangely, confirm email is checked in the admin but shows false in the file.

Guess I'm going to have to hardcode it.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2013

but settings for Confirm email role seems to be limited and there are nothing that resembles "allow signin". It should have?

SIGNIN row - second from the bottom of the first panel

2nd column ALLOW.

allows signin.  - is it checked.

post your confirm email role permissions page.**

well Confirm Email should be TRUE not FALSE correct.

and Confirm Email Role is the roleid in your Role Table.

$Configuration['Garden']['Registration']['ConfirmEmailRole'] = '8';
        $Configuration['Garden']['Registration']['ConfirmEmail'] = FALSE;  

don't be so quick to alter core code - not a good idea.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Screenshots of both new role and Confirm email permissions.

• try unclicking Allow Signin and saving

and clicking Allow Signin and saving.

for me it toggles the ability to see the confim email option in the registration drop down box.

when Allow signin is clicked and saved. the confirm e-mail option shows in the dropdown box

and vice versa.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

The permissions for this role you created has very limited permissions by default.

Confirm Email role is almost the same as guest, they have no permissions until they confirm their mail.

I believe the role number is incorrect because confirm email is usually the 3d on that list after guest.

I think like Shadowdare that you will need to fix the role numbers in the database.

Confirm Email should be 3
    Member 4

There is no role 8 as far as I know, unless you create it and give it that number I think. So your permissions are mixed up somehow.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2013

V,

I think what you say is a red herring. but I could be the one, we'll see.

member is role id 8 on all default installations :) that are not upgrades.

roleid # should not matter.

it is allow signin box. snafu. I still believe.

if you unclick allow signin for member - member will not show in dropdown either.

but you could delete the Confirm Email role and create it again.

• It worked!

Created a new role just with "Allow Signin" checked and it appeared in the dropdown. Registered a new user and everything seems to be fine.

The default Confirm email role missing is still a mistery, also my config file still shows false for '['Garden']['Registration']['ConfirmEmail']'.

Thanks to both of you, @peregrine and @Shadowdare!

• Nevermind the config file issue mentioned above. It now show as '1'.

• also my config file still shows false for '['Garden']['Registration']['ConfirmEmail']'.

when you require confirm email it will be true (1 is also true).

p, For some reason I remember someone having this problem after import where the roles from the import also were transferred and created problems because they did not match vanilla's schema . Oh well :( just thought it could be a possibility....

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@vrijvlinder said:
    p, For some reason I remember someone having this problem after import where the roles from the import also were transferred and created problems because they did not match vanilla's schema . Oh well :( just thought it could be a possibility....

You aren't off your rocker on this one. I had the same issue on some legacy phpbb data. I finality gave in and reverted to default membership roles/permissions and have been much happier for it.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2013

@hgtonight said:
    You aren't off your rocker on this one. I had the same issue on some legacy phpbb data. I finality gave in and reverted to default membership roles/permissions and have been much happier for it.

But in this case it was an unchecked check box, or unstable checkbox for Allow SignOn

but nevertheless I agree it is true, import from another forum type messes up the permissions table but V's sitting on her rocker as she types.

2 Guest Guests can only view content. Anyone browsing the ... 2 0 0
    3 Confirm Email Users must confirm their emails before becoming fu... 7 1 1
    4 Applicant Users who have applied for membership, but have no... 3 0 1
    8 Member Members can participate in discussions. 4 1 1
    16 Administrator Administrators have permission to do anything. 6 1 1
    32 Moderator Moderators have permission to edit most content. 5 1 1

We need a " how to set permissions" , "what are the default permissions" , " what permissions won't work"

tutorial :)

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2013

vrijvlinder said:

We need a " how to set permissions" , "what are the default permissions" , " what permissions won't work"

the thing is - whoever writes the tutorial must know exactly what they say is true and accurate (would require some testing), otherwise it will be worse than having no tutorial.

there is a tutorial for the first (or at least a show and tell).

what are the default permissions

see category tutorials

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/21620/the-default-permission-settings

what permissions won't work - (tall order - this is the first confusing one i ran across, the others are common sense.)

• for items to appear in confirm email dropdown box - the role must have Allow Signin checked.