Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Roles & Permissions are not saved

Dr_SommerDr_Sommer Dr. of tender Programing ;) ✭✭
edited October 2013 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

hmm... strange... not sure where i've messed up... ;)

Did the Upgrade from 2.0.18 to 2.1.b2 few weeks ago... some small glitches, but so far everything is working fine.. ;)

Now i needed to change some permissions to my registered Users, but it is not saving it...
Tried it also in other roles, same Prob there... i unchecked everything, saved it, looked again into it... same status as before unchecking everything..
Also tried creating a new Role, same thing...

How can i look up this Error??

used newest Opera/Firefox/Chrome

ThX.. ;)

Comments

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

I remember getting this when I upgraded, after I ported my db.

The only way I found around it was to export and then import permissions from a 2.0.18 DB.

• Dr_SommerDr_Sommer Dr. of tender Programing ;) ✭✭
    edited October 2013

@Whu606:
    Hmm.. so do you think i should do that to fix my Problem, or should i wait for other "Experts" to look deeper into that problem?

Now i still have this issue and can provide every info you ask for... ;)

If I do it like U proposed, i assume that the problem will be fixed but WHY it occurs will not be fixed...

I think that also other Vanilla 2.0.18 Users could face this Problem after upgrade...

You now what I'll do?? I'll wait until tomorrow and then use your Fix... ;)

if somebody wants additional Information, please ask... ;)

ThX Whu606 in advance and in Hope it will fix my problem... ;)))

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Did you upgrade or export/import your data in a fresh install?

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

edited October 2013

I did an fresh install, exported the Vanilla 2.0.18 DB with the Vanilla Porter, an then imported it into the new one ...

I believe that is the issue. The import/export process does not properly communicate non-default permissions between systems. At least this is my understanding.

I suggest @whu606's suggestion. Set up a fresh install of 2.0.18.8 on a localhost and export the permissions table. Then import the permissions table in to your 2.1b2 install. Do this on a backup first to make sure nothing goes awry.

As far as fixing the problem in and of itself, you will have to do some debugging and see why it isn't saving properly.

For future reference, when upgrading Vanilla versions, this is the recommended upgrade process.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

The porter does not transfer permissions.

• why would anyone use porter to upgrade from a previous vanilla version at this point in the game. The standard install/upgrade works as far as I know for 2.1b2, no need for the porter workaround now.

the upgrade process as hgtonight suggested is the best way.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

@ Peregrine: was not shure about the right way to upgrade from 2.0.18 to 2.1.b2... red about the way with Porter an decided to take that road... ;)

@hgtonight: not much of a programmer jet... so no clue where to start with debugging... ;)
    And as for now, need to put all my spare Time for perfectioning the Forum, cause many of my Users HATES the new forum and are crying for the old one... ;)
    Yeah.... for some people every change or "new anything" is causing problems... as for me, I LOVE vanilla and I see all the benefits of it... but its a hell of a job convincing others to also see the beauty of it... ;))

ThX to all, I'll do the whu606 Magic.. ;)

Some mostly unsolicited advice on switching forums software, wait at least 2 weeks (more or less depending on user activity level) before listening to complaints about the user experience.

Saved me plenty of headache as people got over their initial apprehension in learning a different software interface.

Search first

• @Dr_Sommer said:
    cause many of my Users HATES the new forum and are crying for the old one...

Make a list of what they hate and maybe it can be fixed with plugins.
    The table view is the closest to all those other forum softwares like phpbb and vbulletin

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• @Dr_Sommer

And as for now, need to put all my spare Time for perfectioning the Forum, cause many of my Users HATES the new forum and are crying for the old one... ;) Yeah.... for some people every change or "new anything" is causing problems... as for me, I LOVE vanilla and I see all the benefits of it... but its a hell of a job convincing others to also see the beauty of it... ;))

I kne someone who did the same thing, after six months everybody (but one or two people unable to adapt) loved it after they got accustomed to it.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

As expected, Whu606's fix did the trick... ;)

BUT

not shure if it is because of the problem above:

Registered Users can't open a new Discussion!!

i get this error: "Berechtigungsproblem. Du hast hierfür keine Berechtigung."

Translated on English: "permissions problem.You have no authorization for this purpose."

Really strange... if I change anything else in the Role of registered User, for example check or unckeck all the permissions, the changes are effective!

I tried to look into the DB, everything seems to be ok...

I tried to make a new Role (Registered2), same error

I tried to make the same Choices as in the Administrator Role (which is working and excepting "new Discussion" ), same error

If I enable the Debug Plugin, and then klick on "New Discussion", there is no output there...

Sooooo Close to a perfect Forum!!! Maaannn... ;)))
    Hope my Users will not try to this for the time being fixed... they'll shoot me.... ;)

So anybody a Clue whats going on?? Or where to start looking?

ThX.. ;)

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2013

just for grins, try /utility/upgrade

and if you still have problems - try unclicking and SAVING and reclicking boxes AND SAVING in Administrator role permissions in dashboard

then post your permissions screenshot and explain what doesn;t work.

edited October 2013

if you mean /ROOT/applications/dashboard/views/utility/upgrade.php, there is no upgrade.php, just update.php... should i do that?

I uncklicked everything (Administrator and Registered Roles), saved it and recklicked everything, saved it... still same error... ;(

I made a new user... i made a new Role wit EVERYTHING checked on... I gave the new user this role... same error...

If U like to try it:

http://www.caba.de/CaBaFoRuM/

Username= testuser, Password= testuser7 (the User has now the normal "Registered" Role (see Pic) )

Klick on "Neues Thema" ("new Discussion") and You'll get the error...

• yes I meant utility/update - it may not help , but it can't hurt!

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2013

@Dr_Sommer - unless someone has better advice.

backup first.

If all else fails.

try this - set up a new forum 2.1b2 locally or somewhere. and verify you can add discussions etc as a member.

export the permissions table from the newly created test 2.1b2 and then import it into your forum.

• delete ini files in cache (may not be necessary, but can't hurt)
    • run /utility/update (may not be necessary, but can't hurt)

then finetune permissions.

and next time you upgrade to a new version - don't use porter, instead use instructions for upgrading in the vanilla docs.

• this may also be worth pursuing (it may or may not help).

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/188810/#Comment_188810

• ShadowdareShadowdare r_j MVP
    edited October 2013

@Dr_Sommer said:
    if you mean /ROOT/applications/dashboard/views/utility/upgrade.php, there is no upgrade.php, just update.php... should i do that?

Please run the scripts at these links and let us know if they do anything:

http://www.caba.de/CaBaFoRuM/index.php?p=/utility/update

http://www.caba.de/CaBaFoRuM/index.php?p=/utility/structure

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

Wohooww... this was better than Chess or interacting with Sheldon from TBBT... :D:D:D

Found it... tried everything what Peregrine suggested, but no luck...

After Hours investigating with 3 ( Don't Ask... ;)) ) Installations, i finally found it... and as always, I could save myself preeeety much work by just doing the things as proposed from you or the Documentation... ;)

SO what was it? IT WAS THE "Discussion Polls" PLUGIN!!
    If You install and Activate it but don't activate it for Registered Users (in Rolls & Permissions), the Reg. Users get the Error above!!!!

I'll post this error in the Plugin Section... ;)

ThX again for all your Help.. ;)=

Cheers,

Dr. Sunshine.. ;)

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2013

@Dr_Sommer

Found it... tried everything what Peregrine suggested, but no luck...

ah but I did suggest it. right here in the debugging mysterious problems.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/188810/#Comment_188810

three comments above.
    step 4 of the comment 188810 say - disable plugins one by one (to isolate problem)

glad you found it and good idea. perhaps the
    http://vanillaforums.org/addon/discussionpolls-plugin could be revised to prevent that from occurring and just not attach the poll instead of posting permission error.