Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Emebed issue with Version 2.1b2

Comments

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Hey @meshugy, are you meshugana ? in yiddish meshugana means crazy and in hebrew is meshugah . Just curious ....

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2013

Ha ha...I think you're probably right. The embedding function of Vanilla seemed like a real time saver but in the end I think it may just be too limiting.

in the two days the 3 of us have been working on this, the standalone would have been done and styled by V the super styler. :)

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    meshugymeshugy Musician/Hacker ✭✭

@vrijvlinder said:
    Hey meshugy, are you meshugana ? in yiddish meshugana means crazy and in hebrew is meshugah . Just curious ....

Yes....I am meshugana for trying to embed my forum into my online store! Regardless, you are a mensch!

• Options

Yea I am still not even sure it works. Maybe it has a mind of it's own.....

Indeed I could have cloned his theme by now who said I didn't ? Just to see if i could ?

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2013

can a woman be mensch? assuming she's not cross-dressing.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

@meshugy said:
    Yes....I am meshugana for trying to embed my forum into my online store! Regardless, you are a mensch!

Why thanks that is the finest thing anyone could say. My father used to always say to me , be a mensch ! He would have been glad to know I finally am ! even if a tad meshugana myself ....

• Options
    edited December 2013

can a woman be mensch? assuming she's not cross-dressing.

Yes I asked my father that, if mensch is supposed to be man, but no it means human or humane. Like saying you are a stand up human being.

I suppose I would have a problem with hu-man why not hu-woman ? or just hu...

Human now days is anything that walks on two legs for more than one hour. So it is not necessarily sexist anymore

• Options

I always thought it was gender-specific.

but it could also be like "you guys" bending the rules over linguistic time.

• Options

I've never known the term to be gender specific....either way, you're very helpful so a mensch you are!

• Options

should we start a new discussion on this over to the

hebrew transifex. i didn't see a yiddish one

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/vf_he_il-locale

• Options
    edited December 2013

@peregrine said: I always thought it was gender-specific.

it likely was,Sure and why not, considering yiddish is a mixture of german,dutch and hebrew. Plus when these sayings began to be used , women were not considered to even be human. I am glad things are no longer that way and women can also be considered a mensch for doing good things and being helpful .

Also if you look at the hebrew language there is no coeds for humanity ,

benadam, that means humans sons of adam, him being the first human/man.

But what I mean is there is no female gender. Because females did not give birth in those days. people used to come from ribs... lol

• Options
    edited December 2013

That would be a nice idea, however it is a language that is not used anymore except by really old people. I do not know anyone living who speaks fluently. Possibly one could find some student who did. Or even a Rabi somewhere.

or this might be good ?

http://stevemorse.org/hebrew/trans.html?mode=yiddish

http://yiddishtr.com

ikh meynen dos iz der best translator fundestvegn however it does not translate using hebrew letters

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2013

so then we would say "Prime Rib" instead of mensch, no?

gotta go

rhymin makes me tired.

• Options

Just Rib, Prime is for people over 65....

• Options

@vrijvlinder said:
    Just Rib, Prime is for people over 65....

I'm a vegetarian! :)

• Options
    edited December 2013

@vrijvlinder said:
    AWESOME !! my hunch was right then.

Not advisable to call the embed url forum if you don't want the links to open in a new page. B)

Actually, naming the embed url "forum" didn't matter as it's working fine here: http://shoppingcart.djangobooks.com/forum

Looking back, the problems were:

Issue: The target="_blank" causing embedded discussion links to open in a new window.

Solution: edit the embed_local.js so it's target="_self"

Issue: All links on the embedded forum redirecting back to the main page of the forum (only happened when embedded in my store)

Solution: Use unpacked iframe method instead of Vanilla's embed script.

Issue: Forum not embedding at all

Solution: Use the embed link that points to : /plugins/embedvanilla/remote.js instead of the link that the Vanilla admin panel suggest which is /js/embed.js">

thanks again for your help!

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2013

@vrijvlinder said

@meshugy said: Thanks again, I'm so happy to have this working and couldn't have done it without you. Do you have a tip jar?

You are very welcome, please forward any tips you would like to give me, please give to peregrine. I would not be here if it were not for him.

@meshugy

nice followup summary meshugy.

thank you for the donation meshugy (donation received), and thank you vrijvlinder

@meshugy said to vrijvlinder
    either way, you're very helpful so a mensch you are!

you are both menschs!

• Options

Ok , just to clear up some potential misunderstanding .

The embed forum code from the Embed Forum link in the panel does not work .

The code from Embed Vanilla Plugin works.

These are two separate versions of embed in 2.1 .

• Options

@vrijvlinder said:
    Ok , just to clear up some potential misunderstanding .

The embed forum code from the Embed Forum link in the panel does not work .

The code from Embed Vanilla Plugin works.

These are two separate versions of embed in 2.1 .

I just checked and they are both working for me now, I can't explain why. Yesterday when we were trouble shooting only the plugin link was working. Now both do. :o

• Options

oy vey !! lmao , well I was right about one thing then, it has a mind of it's own ...