HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Simpler bootstrap theme - What do you think?

I've been making this for a while now, it's still at a beta version and has some parts that need to be tweaked. It's fully responsive! I will re-make the dashboard as-well. I'm making this theme for "simplicity", please be harsh, I love criticism, what do you think?

Comments

• Looks great, do you have it on github? Bootstrap 3?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• dnaatworkdnaatwork New
    edited December 2013

It's the most current or will be most current version of bootstrap when I have the final version. I'm using bootstrap from the official getbootstrap.com website and it's currently on my website vanilla.earthstrap.com.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

It looks already great, but you've asked for detailed feedback and here is what I think of it (but I have to add that I am no bootstrap fan)
    I'm looking at your side with two not really ancient, but not new browsers: IE8 and Firefox 17

1. I see the navigation bar with links to discussions and inbox twice: one is fixed at the top and one is at the bottom. Don't now if this was intended but if the bar is fixed at the top, I do not need to see it again.
    2. There are 3 links to the sign in page right now. Make it just one at let that be a call to action
    3. IE8 doesn't show columns. It is as if it is using the smallest media view
    4. You should create some discussions with longer texts, to see how they behave
    5. Using only symbols in the navigation bar but using nearly nowhere else symbols, looks inconsistent. So I would use text + symbols in navigation bar
    6. Responsiveness is an awesome feature but it would be even more great if you could extend it to the way discussions are presented in discussions index view. Most probably smartphone users will see your theme that way and it would be great if it is getting easier to open the three links that each discussion item has: link to discussion, link to user profile, and link to category (all my fingers feel thick as thumbs if I'm using my smartphone and that's why I love big buttons/links in mobile design)
  • hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Looks great!

My critique:

1. Use larger font in the discussion list
    2. Add a space between your category label and the discussion date
    3. Use the same gear icons on the header as you do on each discussion (for consistency)
    4. Add text to the icons on header/footer or make them bigger
    5. Make the new discussion page full width
    6. Center the profile pic or scale it up to the panel width
    7. Add a space between the counts and labels on the filter tabs in the discussions page

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Looks fantastic!...any estimated release date?

• which versions of vanilla will it work on, when you release.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Looks fantastic. Nice and minimal, great to use on it's own or as a base theme!

• RaizeRaize vancouver ✭✭

Looks awesome! Love the fact that it's responsive and easy to use. The flat design style is nice too, makes the forum look really sleek and modern

1. Screw IE 8 with a chainsaw. There's no need for anyone to support that pile of crap unless you're building websites for old companies. As developers, we can't be holding people's hands like that with their browsers forever. IE 11 was released a few months ago, it's really time to upgrade if you're on IE 8.

2. Nice theme, however the "Change my picture" link on the profile looks out of place, I think it would look better integrated into the pic somehow.

• Get rid of the gradients and all other useless "tricks" like hovers, big background colors etc :D.

• Wow this theme looks fantastic! I have been looking for a simple, flat theme for Vanilla for a while now. I especially love the fact that it's built with Bootstrap, is there any possibility we could see this on Github soon? Or any general release date? Keep up the good work!

• This looks really good, I'm working on some thing similar at the moment.

• This is what I'm looking for so I can integrate it easily with my existing bootstrap theme. Would you be willing to opensource the code?

• subdreamersubdreamer San Jose, CA

Looks really nice. Keep up the great work! :)