Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Theme problems with Vanilla 2.1b2*

This discussion was created from comments split from: [Solved] Themes don´t work, Smarty Problems*.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• Options
    meshugymeshugy Musician/Hacker ✭✭
    edited December 2013

I am having a similar issue to this. The embed and Bittersweet themes work fine for me. However, when I try +Baseline or the Press theme from Vanillaskins.com, there is a formatting problem. Everything gets displayed vertically, with the sidebar pushed to the bottom. Does anyone have any idea what may be causing this? I disabled all plugins and still had the same result. I'm running 2.1b2

• Options

Here are the same results with the Press theme

• Options
    UnderDogUnderDog MVP
    edited December 2013

Next time post under the theme, so every theme has their own topic and solution for when it doesn't work.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options
    phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP

Hi @meshugy,

I answered you regarding your support request via E-Mail. The actual themes of VanillaSkins do only work for the stable releases up to 2.0.18.9. They are not yet ready for 2.1b2.

We are going to release update the coming year. I will look into your issue, give me some days and christmas. ;)

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla
  • Options

@phreak thanks I look forward to the update! I originally figured it was an update issue, but then I noticed the Baseline theme (which comes bundled with 2.12b) was exhibiting similar behavior. That made me wonder if something else was going on.

• Options
    phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP

@meshugy: I have some instances of 2.1b2 running, and till now i encountered several issues. I keep you updated.

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla
  • Options

@vrijvlinder I'm not using minifier and wasn't trying to embed these skins. Just trying them out on the regular forum and was experiencing these issues. I'll wait till @Phreak gets his skin updated for 2.12b and then check it out.

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited December 2013

@meshugy You are using something that is consolidating all the style sheets and scripts .

When I go to your forum, I inspect the source. Look for files, they appear in one single sheet. you can't see the separate style sheets from the theme or plugins in the list of resources. You are using something to do that.

It is not standard as far as I know. As I explained above, it renders your forum useless to edit. It causes problems.

• Options

@vrijvlinder I haven't made any modifications that I'm aware of that might do that. My server is running some Xcacheing, fast CGI, and pagespeed mods but I turned those off and it didn't make a difference. Any ideas?

• Options
    edited December 2013

ok, I think it is pagespeed a usual suspect below is the url of your stylesheets consolidated, the only way to appreciate the mess it makes. And the difficulties for editing.

http://www.djangobooks.com/forum/A.applications,,_dashboard,,_design,,_style.css,,qv==2.1b2+plugins,,_Signatures,,_design,,_signature.css,,qv==1.5.2+plugins,,_FileUpload,,_design,,_fileupload.css,,qv==1.7.1+plugins,,_Emotify,,_design,,_emotify.css,,qv==2.0.5+themes,,_EmbedFriendly,,_design,,_custom.css,,qv==3.0+plugins,,_IndexPhotos,,_design,,_indexphotos.css,,qv==1.1+plugins,,_PeregrineReactions,,_design,,_peregrinereactions.css,,qv==2.3+plugins,,_StatsBox,,_design,,_statsbox.css,,qv==1.5+plugins,,_Buttons,,_design,,_buttons.css,,qv==1.0+plugins,,_CategoryAccordion,,_design,,_accordion.css,,qv==0.1.3b+plugins,,_PeregrineLeaderBoard,,_design,,_plb.css,,qv==1.3+plugins,,_ResizedImageLightbox,,_design,,_resizedimagelightbox.css,,qv==1.0+plugins,,_Sprites,,_design,,_sprites.css,,qv==1.0+plugins,,_WorldFlags,,_design,,_flags.css,,qv==1.13+plugins,,_jsconnect,,_design,,_jsconnect.css,,qv==1.0.3b,Mcc.6ew0fKAjDR.css.pagespeed.cf.47_KQMHDSf.css

• Options
    edited December 2013

To check if the page speed mod is on or off you ca go to http://web-sniffer.net input your url and it will show you . choose HTTP/1.0 (with Host header) then choose Post then submit.

This is what I got Notice Pagespeed is still on.

HTTP Response Header

Name    Value   Delim
    Date:   Wed, 18 Dec 2013 23:42:46 GMT   
    Server: Apache  
    P3P:    CP="CAO PSA OUR"    
    X-Garden-Version:   Vanilla 2.1b2   
    Set-Cookie: Vanilla=deleted; expires=Thu, 01-Jan-1970 00:00:01 GMT; path=/  
    Set-Cookie: Vanilla=deleted; expires=Thu, 01-Jan-1970 00:00:01 GMT; path=/  
    X-Mod-Pagespeed:    1.4.26.5-3533   
    Vary:   Accept-Encoding 
    Content-Encoding:   gzip    
    Cache-Control:  max-age=0, no-cache 
    Connection: close   
    Content-Type:   text/html; charset=utf-8

That means its working for domain and enabled, if you switch it off it wont show this line. X-Mod-Pagespeed: 1.4.26.5-3533

Or if you want to disable for a particular domain not for whole server you can add ModPagespeed off in your domain htaccess file. This will prevent its loading.

• Options
    edited December 2013

ok, I'll turn it off and see what happens. I tried turning off before and I still had the same issues with the Baseline and Press themes. But maybe they were in a cache so I'll try and clear that first.

• Options

It's off now:

HTTP Response Header
    Name    Value   Delim
    Date:   Wed, 18 Dec 2013 23:53:38 GMT   
    Server: Apache  
    Last-Modified:  Thu, 05 Dec 2013 15:34:30 GMT   
    ETag:   "3eb8-4eccb43fccd80"    
    Accept-Ranges:  bytes   
    Vary:   Accept-Encoding 
    Content-Encoding:   gzip    
    Content-Length: 4576    
    Connection: close   
    Content-Type:   text/html; charset=UTF-8

• Options

I can't speak for those themes, but I am sure I could fix them. But not if you are using PageSpeed. Trust me when I say that you are trading faster loads for function. There have been at least 50 cases I recall since I joined this forum. All related to a minifier.

• Options
    edited December 2013

Ok to fix the problem with the content moving down etc. Change to this or add this in all the style sheets that have this happening. Somewhere it was adding an insane margin to the right.

#Body .ContentColumn {
    margin: 0;
    }

This bug is traced to the main style.css of Vanilla 2.1 , this margin should be 0

style.css:55
    #Body .ContentColumn {
    margin: 0 0 0 230px;
    }

• Options

It seems that I am missing the main style.css file. Shouldn't it be located in in themes/default/design/style.css?

it's not there

• Options
    edited December 2013

No it is located in Applications/Dashboard/design. If you fix it there, it will revert upon update. Unless they fix it . :( Maybe @Lincoln could take gander...

But sticking the code I gave you in the custom.css of themes will override the style.css .

When trying to find where files are stored simply look at the source. In the head section is has all the files that are being called and their url. The Url is the key coz it shows the path to the file.

• Options

I tried adding a 0 margin to the custom.css and also tried editing the style.css so it has a 0 margin. Neither made a difference. Baseline is the default theme, so I'd imagine that should work pretty well out of of the box??!! I must have something else going on here.

• Options
    edited December 2013

Let me see...Page speed is back on .... better remove it all together or use the htaccess fix so it stops loading. That thing is a nightmare!!

It takes me seconds to fix something , but this is meshugah to the max !!