Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

BBCode input formatter does nothing

13»

Comments

• Then again the factor that stands out is the OPcache

grep is your friend.

• ShadowdareShadowdare r_j MVP
    edited January 2014

@Bilge said:
    I understand that the OPcache could be the cause of not seeing changes applied to the settings immediately, since the settings are PHP code, but I do not see how it could solve the BBCode problem.

You wrote a note in one of your posts about having "to refresh the plugin page to see the change" in this discussion, which hinted that there might be a persistence problem with the OPCache that could have contributed to both the BBCode problem and the theme applying problem, so it would be confusing to others to quote what you said in this discussion in the other discussion about the theme applying problem out of context.

Before it was narrowed down to HTMLawed not being enabled, it could have been that some Vanilla settings and cache just persisted in memory and did not refresh due to a persistence issue with OPCache. Disabling the OPCache along with restarting the web server and verifying that the PHP configuration changes take effect is a quick way to see if the OPCache has been contributing to the problems.

If anything changes by turning off the OPCache, then the OPCache settings would have to be tweaked as @x00 noted. If nothing changes, then there is no harm done and you may turn on OPCache in the PHP configuration again easily, of course.

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• Nice save, I'm sure someone will buy that.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited January 2014

Well if I was goign to test I would certainly run the installation with the same setup and OPCache. OPCache may well be an issue in installation, it is true that install was not competed properly for whatever reason.

I'm not sure if it has any additional contraindications beyond that other than acceptable delays. I know if you want to be sure run APC instead of OPCache.

I don't have time nor am I paid to test this.

Nice save, I'm sure someone will buy that.

Snideness is looked upon in a dim light. People here are volunteers.

grep is your friend.

• If I elect to volunteer useless suggestions, how is that looked upon?

• x00x00 MVP
    edited January 2014

@Bilge said:
    If I elect to volunteer useless suggestions, how is that looked upon?

Well this is looked upon as bitting the hand that feeds you, and abuse.

You don't know it all believe me, you clearly don't envision a way in which the two could be related, however from quite bit of experience stuff like often is.

Ok maybe wouldn't help after the fact, but given it was a suggestion an not an unreasonable one, if you don't like it then leave it.

As it is caching whole scripts as well as objects there ample room for contraindications.

You don't know if there is any bug that sometimes prevents the class destructor from being called in a timely matter, for instance. Or any number of contraindications.

Whether or not his suggestion is right or not, snide remarks like that aren't necessary. it mean that people would be less likely to help you in the future.

grep is your friend.

• @x00 said:
    if you don't like it then leave it

I don't feel like that's an option. I feel obligated to attend every suggestion made regardless of what I think about it otherwise I appear uncooperative.

• @Bilge said:
    I don't feel like that's an option. I feel obligated to attend every suggestion made regardless of what I think about it otherwise I appear uncooperative.

There is nothing wrong with that. It is the snide comeback that is unnecessary.

grep is your friend.

• And ... this discussion has come ... to an end ... @Bilge stay on topic next time and you can open a new discussion with all your problems.

We are all trying to help here and we don't need extra comments regarding solutions that are offered.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.