Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

[Solved] Fatal Error in Gdn_Database.Connection();

HLouiseHLouise New
edited April 2014 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hi,
I recently updated my forum and it worked ok and then when I was looking at the database in myphpadmin afterwards I went to the forum and it came up with an error message - details in the image below.

I'm a newbie to all this and have tried to find it out myself - I've downloaded the maintenance mode plugin but can't get it to enable and can't get to the forum dashboard. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• did you modify your config.php - did you change user permissions for database while in phpmyadmin.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• HLouiseHLouise New
    edited April 2014

No didn't modify config.php or change user permissions in phpmyadmin that I know of. On my control panel on the webhost it said something about a password and I think I changed it there - and was then able to log into myphpadmin using the same password - would that affect it as its the only change I made really?

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

This has happened to me on occasion . You can either wait it out until it is resolved by the host. Or try to fix the password for the database.

I was told by my host that this can happen from too many requests for the page.Sort of a DOS attack that floods the database with requests and it disconnects.

I am not sure this is true, I have no proof except what the host tech said. If you can access myphpadmin without having to enter your password, then all is ok an you don't need to change anything. If you can't access it and it asks for password then denies entry. You will need to change the password and also for your config.php

The best is to get help from your host to fix it quickly. They may or may not do anything. It may resolve on it's own.

• So in the config.php file where it says-?????? Should it match the password I've been using?

$Configuration['Database']['Password'] = '??????';

Should I change it to the new password? Thanks
    I'll contact the host too see what they can do their side.

• ShadowdareShadowdare r_j MVP
    edited April 2014

Changing it to the new password should work as long as the other database access information is correct.

These lines in /conf/config.php need to match up with the correct database access information:

// Database
    $Configuration['Database']['Name'] = 'Your Database Name';
    $Configuration['Database']['Host'] = 'Your Database Host';
    $Configuration['Database']['User'] = 'Your Database Username';
    $Configuration['Database']['Password'] = 'Your Database Password';

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app