Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

FileUploads not creating thumbnails or thumbnail directory

Hi all, I'm having the a similar problem and so far nothing I've done has solved it.

I'm totally new to Vanilla and I just installed the latest stable version (core 2.1? Sorry, where do I find the exact version?) and I installed the latest FileUploads version (1.5.2) and when I try to upload a file of any type in a discussion, it just hangs. I can see the upload bar, which just says "loading". I've read through the forums and tried everything - or at least everything I was able to try given I'm not a programmer.

The details:

• the plugin does not create the thumbnails folder, either as utility/thumbnails/FileUpload or as uploads/thumbnails/FileUploads so I've created both, giving them 777 permissions. (I know I shouldn't do this but what are the correct permissions? 755?)
  • my theme, Bittersweet, includes a default.master.tpl file which has this line: {asset name="Foot"} which I understand has caused issues for others
  • I've reverted to the basic theme and disabled all plugins, and it still doesn't work
  • I've tried txt files and pdfs
  • I tried changing the config file so that RewriteUrls = FALSE but that didn't seem to work
  • the files themselves are being uploaded to the server - the plugin creates the: vanilla/uploads/FileUpload/subfolder and I can see the files there.
  • I'm not getting the Bonk screen
  • in the settings for the plugin, File uploads is ON
  • in the settings it says: Realtime progress bars: unavailable
  • In Roles and Permissions I have enabled attachment upload
  • I am able to upload avatars

It seems like the problem has something to do with the thumbnails directory that isn't being created - but I thought creating it manually would solve that.

I'd appreciate any assistance! I love Vanilla and would love for this functionality to work.

Thanks!

Comments

• I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Hi, thanks @vrijvlinder‌! I've now upgraded to version 1.7.1 but it's pretty much the same. It's still not creating the thumbnails folder, so not creating thumbnails. It still just hangs at "loading" when I try to attach a file - though the file itself is uploaded to the server. I tried creating the forum/utility/thumbnails/FileUpload with 755 but that didn't work.

Thanks @peregrine‌ - I don't see Bittersweet on that list but I've also tried this after reverting to the basic theme and it didn't work so don't want to blame it on the theme.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited May 2014

I tried creating the forum/utility/thumbnails/FileUpload with 755 but that didn't work.

no,no,no,no - it is just a temporary area.

it has nothing to do with the theme. but the plugin downloaded from the add-ons section. won't work - correct. that would be the key signal - that the plugin doesn'r work with 2.1 and added to the list.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/26703/plugins-and-themes-that-do-and-don-t-work-in-vanilla-2-1

if the plugin does work - it gets added to the list.
    if the plugin doesn't work - it gets added to the list.

simple. perhaps too simple. how simple is that?

I would suggest reading the other discussions - listed in the plugin. for some reason they always have a clue to the answer if read.

Thanks @peregrine‌ - I don't see Bittersweet on that list but I've also tried this after reverting to the basic theme and it didn't work so don't want to blame it on the theme.

of course not. you would blame the plugin.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• I will post two solutions that have worked for others, once you prove you can add to this:

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/26703/plugins-and-themes-that-do-and-don-t-work-in-vanilla-2-1

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• @peregrine‌ Ah, I missed that. Thought it meant the plugin working with the theme. Yes, the plugin doesn't work with 2.1. I'll add it.

I've read the other discussions in the plugin and spent three hours last night following all the advice listed there (listed in the details above). Maybe I've missed something but I don't know what it is.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited May 2014

try this

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/205866/#Comment_205866

or this...

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/206009/#Comment_206009

are you using apache or nginx? are you using re-write urls?

when getting files from github for a plugin - you need to get all of them and do it correctly.

I suspect sooner but probably later - there will be the correct working add-ons downloadable from the add-ons section.

lets see if someone spent five minutes uploading the correct version of the add-on to the add-ns section at 5 minutes per upload times the 20 or so broken plugins that would be 100 minutes.

A shade under two hours - to save people a combined thousands of hours of time! and endless repeat questions :)

and then the cleanup on github could take place. - my logic works differently than some people.

• @peregrine said:
    I will post two solutions that have worked for others, once you prove you can add to this:

Not sure what you mean here. Are you asking me to prove I can add a comment to a discussion? I have added the plugin to the discussion. Proof is in the discussion.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited May 2014

• Thanks @peregrine‌! I will try those.

Yes, I was thinking that the three hours I spent combing the forums and trying different solutions, only to find out that 1.5.3 was not the latest working plugin - multiplied by a lot of people with the same problem - was maybe not the best use of time. However, we're all relying on the kindness of strangers.

• Yahoo! The first solution worked - http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/205866/#Comment_205866

It's still not creating thumbnails - so I just get a broken image thing. I disabled and re-enabled but still nothing. But the files are uploaded and accessible, which is great. But maybe that's found in your second solution, which I'll try.

Thanks @peregrine‌!

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited May 2014

@hdjohnston said:
    Yahoo! The first solution worked - http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/205866/#Comment_205866

It's still not creating thumbnails - so I just get a broken image thing. I disabled and re-enabled but still nothing. But the files are uploaded and accessible, which is great. But maybe that's found in your second solution, which I'll try.

Thanks peregrine‌!

forplugin ver 1.7.x
    you need to read the rest of the discussion! everything in context. don't blindside yourself!

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/205877/#Comment_205877

for plugin ver 1.8.x
    but this has even more bug fixes! assuming you want more of the bugs fixed. but one should never assume.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/206009/#Comment_206009

• You're right, I didn't read the rest - I have to admit I'm losing the thrill of the chase on this one.

However... solved! Your solution worked! (second link) I'm now running version 1.8.2.1 and it looks great.

Again, thanks so much!

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited May 2014

I have to admit I'm losing the thrill of the chase on this one.

glad it worked for you. You made my day as well with your quote! lmao

• Great! At least I could offer something :-)

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited May 2014

Unfortunately, there are only 3 and 1/2 of us who appreciate humor all of the the time.

me, v, ud, and 1/2 of hgto

I do offer sessions for many of my clients on how to reverse this obstacle when they tell me:

I'm losing the thrill of the chase on this one.

and I do enable them bring the thrill of the chase back. Sometimes they even lead the charge.

• Good information. I'll keep that in mind.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Yes, half of my clients don't get my jokes either ... they just pretend they did and laugh hysterically ...
    :p

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited May 2014

laughing hysterically >:)

• Did someone make a joke?