Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Installation question with nginx proxy_pass

Hi there, I looked around and didn't see any answers to my question.

Basically, the type of installation I am working on is as follows. We have our web servers (webA) for our main site, and a separate web server (webB) for just the forums. The path /forums does a reverse proxy to the upstream webserver where the forums live. So, www.example.com goes to webA. Whenever a request comes in for www.example.com/forums, it forwards the request to webB. The requests are getting passed up and handed back down fine, however, the URLs generated by vanilla is relative to the root path of / (so /js which hits webA's js directory in the web root instead of /forums/js to get to the /js directory on webB's webroot). Looking through the config, there is the WebRoot and StripWebRoot (not totally sure what this second one is) settings, but neither are seeming to alter the URLs being generated.

So, basically, is this something that is workable? Or do I have to do an install on webB as though it was in a subdirectory of /forums as well even though there isn't anything above that on the webB web server? Is there any documentation on how to get Vanilla forums really working in a reverse proxy situation?

Answers