Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Is there a way to search members by keyword?

I know there is MemberList but this seems to just list members and then you can change the sort order, I would like to be able to type a username into a keyword search and bring up users.

I would also like to be able to search them by location.

Is any of this possible with the open source version?

Thanks

Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@TownFish‌

You can search for users by username via the Dashboard.

• Options

I'm looking for members to be able to search other members from the front end

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2014

yes. messages/add

will pop up a user list in the inbox.

I know there is MemberList but this seems to just list members and then you can change the sort order, I would like to be able to type a username into a keyword search and bring up users.

yes you can do this with Membership Enhanced - meaning bring up entire list.

and the click search in your browser. Generally Control-F in firefox for example.

I would also like to be able to search them by location.

Is any of this possible with the open source version?

if you have a budget, make me a an offer on price you will pay and pm me - I could probably write you a plugin

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    webmasterpridewebmasterpride webmasterspride@gmail.com New

You can do that using dashboard.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2014

whu606 already said: You can search for users by username via the Dashboard.

TownFish then said: I'm looking for members to be able to search other members from the front end

@webmasterpride then said:
    You can do that using dashboard.

not really, unless you give users "user edit" permssions which is usually reserved for admins. plus it would give email privacy away.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

Would be nice to search by profile fields and could turn Vanilla into the basis of a dating site.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2014

anonymoose said; Would be nice to search by profile fields and could turn Vanilla into the basis of a dating site.

then you could buy or write a plugin or even get @minion to place dating-hearts over the avatars if they are in your location (*)

you could have categories

a) undateable b) dateworthy c) I tried but was unsuccessful. d) match made in vanilla

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Profile Extender stores the fields in the UserMeta table. You could create a search model pretty easily if you knew what fields you wanted to search on.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options
    AnonymooseAnonymoose ✭✭
    edited July 2014

@hgtonight said:
    Profile Extender stores the fields in the UserMeta table. You could create a search model pretty easily if you knew what fields you wanted to search on.

And integrate it with Sphinx search... and Vanilla just became a pretty good social network or dating site solution.

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited July 2014

lol lol lol !!

I only have one question....if this was a dating site, where are all the women? I could handle maybe one or two but not all of you ... lmao!

How about this name for a dating site/forum dates ... "Vanilla Byters"

• Options
    R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Some weeks ago I was out in a pub wearing my awesome "Vanilla" shirt. A girl saw that, started laughing and told me that this shirt is really marvelous. I wouldn't have been suspicious if she had only smiled, but by the way she reacted, I started worrying that there is a slang meaning in "vanilla", I've searched and found that:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=vanilla says:

vanilla
    n. The opposite of kinky.
    Not in any way involved with BDSM.

Well, although that's perfectly okay for me, I felt a little uneasy to wear my sexual preferences as a shirt...

What I wanted to say: using Vanilla as a dating platform could be waaaay more intentional than you think at first and you should be absolutely clear about your stakeholders and if Vanilla is a match for them...

• Options
    AnonymooseAnonymoose ✭✭
    edited July 2014

@vrijvlinder said:
    I only have one question....if this was a dating site, where are all the women? I could handle maybe one or two but not all of you ... lmao!

On the Internet, nobody knows if you are male or female moose.

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

You could call and ask my doctor ;)

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2014

@Anonymoose said:
    On the Internet, nobody knows if you are male or female moose.

well your avatar shows a moose with antlers. So either you are a cross-dressing moose (this has never been observed in the wild) or a bull moose.
    Cow moose don't have antlers.

Now if you were anonycaribou, then it would be harder to tell your gender because caribou are not sexually dimorphic in this respect - the both have antlers as do reindeer.

Protip: the moose with antlers are males, the ones without antlers are females. Hope this helps you out on the dating scene, @Anonymoose. ;)

• Options
    whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

Moose always puts me in mind of a great show from the 90s, Northern Exposure

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x10a5p_northern-exposure-intro_fun

• Options
    AnonymooseAnonymoose ✭✭
    edited July 2014

@peregrine said:
    Protip: the moose with antlers are males, the ones without antlers are females. Hope this helps you out on the dating scene, @Anonymoose. ;)

That's right, but we still need a plugin to find them. ;)

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited August 2014

@Anonymoose said:
    That's right, but we still need a plugin to find them. ;)

a bit off the topic of searching but the plugin below may help you on the dating scene :)

@Anonymoose‌ now you will visually be able to tell the female moose from the males.

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/cosmeticsurgicon-plugin :)

the moose with moustaches are the males.