Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Vanilla 2.1 or Xenforo?

annleeannlee New
edited August 2014 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

hello everyone, I've checked this comparison: http://www.forum-software.org/forum-comparator/vanilla-vs-xenforo

I like how active is the bugfixing of vanilla

I would like not to spend more than $400 in xenforo, but there are a couple of functionalities I would like so much:

• better responsive templates (currently, there are like 5, pretty odd ones)

• upper login/register panel including social networks

• where is the thread subscription by email option?

and the most important question, is it planned for Vanilla to migrate to full responsive (html5+css3) like xenforo already is??

thanks in advance

ps: there is a bug in views, if I refresh my thread it still counting visits where should ignore by IP

Best Answer

Answers

• Options

thanks partially answered everything

this setting: profile > Notification preferences is not meant for normal users, believe is not intuitive

the major handicap is Vanilla is not responsive by itself, so the purchased respondive (patchy) templates my fail after vanilla updates and must hope the developers update it for free

dunno yet if will purchase xenforo or not

• Options

this setting: profile > Notification preferences is not meant for normal users, believe is not intuitive

this is factually incorrect.

grep is your friend.

• Options
    annleeannlee New
    edited August 2014

@x00 said:
    this is factually incorrect.

orly? not intuititive means you need someone to tell you where is a function typically placed somewhere

pobody's nerfect

• Options

I don't know what you are on about but notification preferences are for normal users.

Please talk with actual words not leet, if you want help, and don't post patronising stuff like pobody's nerfect.

grep is your friend.

• Options

This thread is going downhill fast. Annlee if you feel like Bootstrap is responsive enough, then try that theme on Vanilla 2.1.1 and adjust to your needs

You guys are disagrering about a simple menu option. The fact that I agree with x00 is besides the point

Focus on the theme you would like or create one yourself. Your choice

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

I want to point out the list linked comparing Vanilla and Xenforo is a) out of date (2.1 is the lastest stable branch) and b) inaccurate even for 2.0.18.x.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options
    AdrianAdrian Wandering Spirit Montreal MVP
    edited August 2014

I have requested an update of the software on their site, if you see specific issue with the listing please use http://www.forum-software.org/contact

This discussion has been closed.