Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Use Porter JForum to Vanilla

Is there anyway to preserve user passwords in forum migrations?

This is the biggest hurdle, wondering how many users might not see their new passwords emails?

The JForum Porter seems less often used than others.

Has anyone used Profprojects.com or Gconvertor.com for migration to Vanilla 2?

Best Answers

Answers

• Passwords are not typically stored in plaint text or encrypted for, they are hashed so you are storing something that is not recoverable, which why you reset rather the recover. When the password is checked you are comparing hashes not passwords. The imputed password is hashed then compared to the stored hash. There is normally as 'salt' which is not as fixed thing but varies per user. This is to stop certain type of attack on hashes.

You would need to know the hashing algorithm use to transfer seamlessly.

I'm not aware on JForum porter option. Probably your best option to see if you can covert it into another forum format which does have a direct conversion to Vanilla.

Most of the convertible formats are php based forums.

grep is your friend.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited August 2014

@mh4it said:
    The JForum Porter seems less often used than others.

Well, I wrote that 2 weeks ago. So, I suppose that's true. ;)

@mh4it said:

Yes, if you can tell me how JForum hashes their passwords. :) Migrations like vBulletin, phpBB, and Joomla all preserve passwords because I know how they do their hashing.

• @mh4it said:

Has anyone used Profprojects.com or Gconvertor.com for migration to Vanilla 2?

BTW, ProfProjects and gConverter have a very good reputation in forum migration services. And yes they both have solution for passwords, here is the logic they work with:

The Source Forum Usernames will be moved without any changes. On the Target Vanilla forum new passwords will be generated randomly and they'll provide you with a gConverter tool to send these new passwords to owners via their email addresses. The tool contains a "send new passwords" button which you click to send all users a "New Password Notification" email. They will then be able to log-in with their username and new password without any problems.

• @Linc said:
    Well, I wrote that 2 weeks ago. So, I suppose that's true. ;)

I'm attempting this on a seperate server with Jforum v2.1.8
    Do you know if it's been tested?

Thanks!

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

@mh4it said:
    Do you know if it's been tested?

I've completed a successful jForum import with it. I'm not sure what version it was.

• My old Tomcat host is outdated in the php version.
    I'm looking at OpenShift which runs tomcat and php on slightly different sub domains, going to test shortly.
    Do you have advice on running PHP along side an old Jforum to export successfully?

Thanks in advance.

• what is your database engine? That is what usually matters.

grep is your friend.

• Both are MySQL5,
    Thanks

• ok usually the old forum software is not used at all in the conversion, just the data. It is only where there need to be middleware solution such as routing old links, might there be some script the emulate that function

grep is your friend.

• mh4itmh4it New
    edited September 2014

@x00 said:
    ok usually the old forum software is not used at all in the conversion, just the data. It is only where there need to be middleware solution such as routing old links, might there be some script the emulate that function

Aaah, so I don't even need to worry about Java / Jforum running, just the database connection??
    That sounds way cooler.
    By routing old links, do you mean in the hierarchy of topics/posts/existing index?

Thanks!

• I got JSConnect working with a few users on an asp.net site. Is there a way to use JSConnect to ease the user transition?

Assuming Vanilla will ask all users to reset their password upon first log in attempt, since JSConnect will match up usernames and also ask for their asp.net password to resolve the two email accounts, would the best course of action be to enable SSO upfront?