Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Mixed tag and category

I need to have a mixed tag and category function in my forum. Here is what I want to achieve:

Categories:

Medicine, Food, Book, Travel, ...

Tags:

Japan, China, England, US, Germany, ...

user click Medicine, they will have the list of all tags available (Japan, China, England, etc).

if user choose to click tag first, for example Japan, they will have the list of all Categories available to choose...

It's like Categories and Tags can be switched...

Is it possible? I have spent hours search online but found nothing...

Many thanks,

Tagged:

Answers

• Tag are by definition non-hierarchical.

Categories are hierarchical.

As long as you understand that. Are you talking more an interface requirement?

grep is your friend.

• Yes, more of the interface requirement.

• What you want is a limited set of preset tags that can be selected for all categories?

Right now tags have no such control. People can set any tags they want.

I think tags are a good idea, compared to setting up sub categorises for every root category.

You have two options, you can develop it yourself if you have programming experience, or pay someone to do it for you.

Extra consideration: Tag span all categories this is usually an advantage, but you may want to limited some tags to certain categories.

If you are looking for professional development PM me.

grep is your friend.