HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Is Vanilla a CPU Resource hog?

I have a vanilla installation with about 2 million pageviews a month. I am using Vanilla Version 2.0.18.4, I have about 300 maximum concurrent users when my server dies gracefully. My config is below:

Processor: 1 Quad-Core Intel Xeon E3-1270 v3
4 x 3.5 GHz HyperThreaded Cores
8 MB Smart Cache
5 GT/s DMI Speed
4 IP Addresses
16 GB RAM

Provider ServInt

Now the anomaly is that while my Quad Core processor will show 8x Usage, and collapse, the RAM used is hardly 2 GB out of 16 GB

Has anyone else faced this problem or am I doing something wrong?

Tagged:

Comments

• PeterMacPeterMac New
    edited October 2014

You could see my server status at one of the instances where it began to die. PFA

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited October 2014

No PHP software can be a "resource hog" technically. Your web server, database, and PHP engine all have configurations that determine what resources they are allowed to consume and under what circumstances. Any PHP software running can only operate within the bounds of what you define therein. If your server is crashing under normal load, it is misconfigured.

To address Vanilla specifically, no, it is not a known issue for processing power to be a performance bottleneck. However, if you're not using an opcode cache like APC, that may help, especially since you have so much memory available.

The most common bottleneck, in my experience, is database performance, which can be addressed most easily with memcached. Vanilla will automatically use it when it is present.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited October 2014

@PeterMac I echo Linc, there is bit more to using up resources than web frameworks, and there no software that works perfectly at scale out of the box, becuase many things are beyond the control of the framework.

grep is your friend.

• First priority is upgrading to a secure version of vanilla.

grep is your friend.

• JasonBarnabeJasonBarnabe Cynical Salamander ✭✭

I use Vanilla with about 1 million page views a month, and I haven't seen it go crazy.

I suggest you start by looking at what the processes are doing when they're burning your electrons.

Database operations will generally not take CPU time - they'll take IO.

• Thank you All for the quick replies. I understand that there is some cofiguration issue with my server. My server hardware config is below

Processor: 1 Quad-Core Intel Xeon E3-1270 v3 4 x 3.5 GHz HyperThreaded Cores 8 MB Smart Cache 5 GT/s DMI Speed 4 IP Addresses 16 GB RAM

Do you think this config, on the hardware part is good enough to support upto 3 million pageviews and upto 1000-1500 concurrent users and 20 comments/ second at peak load?

• The average load being concurrent 200- 300 users and 1.5 million pageviews a month

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited October 2014

@PeterMac said:
    Do you think this config, on the hardware part is good enough to support upto 3 million pageviews and upto 1000-1500 concurrent users and 20 comments/ second at peak load?

Yes. You don't have a hardware configuration issue. You have a software configuration issue at the server level. You need a qualified webserver administrator.