Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Just upgraded to 2.1.6 and get blank page! Please help.

Comments

• Good morning, everyone. Linc, you just mentioned /utility/update and I don't have that directory! Hmm...

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited November 2014

@JimD said:
    Good morning, everyone. Linc, you just mentioned /utility/update and I don't have that directory! Hmm...

It's not a directory any more than /discussion is. You enter that URL to your forum, and it performs the operation requested (a database update).

• Bleistivt, I did it and now I get a white home page with this:
    Fatal error: Class 'Gdn' not found in /homepages/10/d344992794/htdocs/nothingchinese/bootstrap.php on line 41

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

@JimD Delete the .ini files in your cache folder, and verify your .htaccess file is uploaded and correct.

• Linc, did that before I even posted this question, but, I've done it again and also verified that .htaccess is correct (I run the forum, the 2.0.18, I think) on other domains and have compared the two .htaccess files. They are the same.

• @JimD said:
    Bleistivt, I did it and now I get a white home page with this:
    Fatal error: Class 'Gdn' not found in /homepages/10/d344992794/htdocs/nothingchinese/bootstrap.php on line 41

Verify you have uploaded all the files from the package to your webserver. Check if the directory /lib/core contains anything/exists.

• /library/core exists and contains 64 files

• I uploaded /library again and now I get something. You're welcome to check at http://nothingchinese.com
    I have lots of errors being shown.

• I tried the update and it failed. It says, Need to re-index theme cache, need to re-index plugin cache.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2014

@JimD said:
    I tried the update and it failed. It says, Need to re-index theme cache, need to re-index plugin cache.

if those are the two messages you get it is normal

run /utility/structure several times and see if you get successful or failed.

don't worry about these two messages.
    Need to re-index theme cache, need to re-index plugin cache.

also turn off debugging by changing to

$Configuration['Debug'] = FALSE;

and if you changed index.php re-copy the one from your source.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• I ran /utility/structure, got a list of things needing to be changed, ran the script, rescanned, ran the script and get this error:
    You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'alter table GDN_Tag
    add unique index UX_Tag (Name, CategoryID)' at line 4

/homepages/10/d344992794/htdocs/nothingchinese/library/database/class.database.php(302): Gdn_Database->Query(...)

0 [internal function]: Gdn_ErrorHandler(256, 'You have an err...', '/homepages/10/d...', 302, Array)

1 /homepages/10/d344992794/htdocs/nothingchinese/library/database/class.database.php(302): trigger_error('You have an err...', 256)

2 /homepages/10/d344992794/htdocs/nothingchinese/library/database/class.databasestructure.php(330): Gdn_Database->Query('/* 'unique inde...')

3 /homepages/10/d344992794/htdocs/nothingchinese/library/database/class.mysqlstructure.php(522): Gdn_DatabaseStructure->Query('/* 'unique inde...')

4 /homepages/10/d344992794/htdocs/nothingchinese/library/database/class.databasestructure.php(392): Gdn_MySQLStructure->_Modify(false, false)

5 /homepages/10/d344992794/htdocs/nothingchinese/applications/dashboard/settings/structure.php(597): Gdn_DatabaseStructure->Set(false, false)

6 /homepages/10/d344992794/htdocs/nothingchinese/applications/dashboard/controllers/class.utilitycontroller.php(310): include('/homepages/10/d...')

7 [internal function]: UtilityController->Structure('all', '0', '0', '0')

8 /homepages/10/d344992794/htdocs/nothingchinese/library/core/class.dispatcher.php(350): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)

9 /homepages/10/d344992794/htdocs/nothingchinese/index.php(46): Gdn_Dispatcher->Dispatch()

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2014

disable all your plugins except htmlawed

disable tagging plugin.

instead of saying you did "all" things.

try one step at a time.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/187197/#Comment_187197

then report back exactly which steps you are doing from this point on.

are you running sql in strict mode.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

This seems more and more like you accidentally installed some other version like 2.2 at some point. These 'DisplayAs' and the Tag index SQL issues are classic indicators of flip-flopping between branches. If you don't have content on the forum, consider starting over with a clean install.

• @JimD upload everything again, not just /library. If it wasn't complete in the first place, that suggests your upload was incomplete.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited November 2014

Ok

please run utility/update

that means http://www.yoursite.com/forum/utility/update

You also need to run utility/structure

that means http://www.yoursite.com/forum/utility/structure

Run them several times if at first it fails

• @peregrine‌ sql is being run on my 1&1 shared server so I have no idea in which mode it is running. Maybe you can help. I've searched 1&1 help but there is no mention of strict at all.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2014

we seem to be circling.

I would as the previous posters recommended.

start over

fresh download of 2.1.6 core.zip

clean database or one from backup prior to upgrade.

after you start over.

disable all plugins except .htmlawed

change to default theme.

see release notes for instructions and read the readme in the installation as well. Do both

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/26685/vanilla-2-1-stable-released/p1

,debugging as necessary

http://docs.vanillaforums.com/developers/troubleshooting/

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/187197/#Comment_187197

• @Bleistivt‌ @Linc‌ @peregrine‌ @vrijvlinder‌ Thank you all. I'm glad I tried this update with a forum which didn't really have any content. I have two other forums which do have content. I can do a clean install of this forum but am now worried that if I try to update the other forums, they will be lost as well. When I uploaded the 2.1.6 files, FileZilla showed them all as successfully uploaded.

I will do a clean install and see how it goes. Thanks for all the help.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Note that sometimes Filezilla will fail uploading all the files if there are server timeouts. I have had to upload twice because of this so make sure to upload folder by folder not the entire application at once.

• @vrijvlinder‌ OK. I thought that if I requeued the failed uploads that I'd be in good shape.
    If I use 1&1's phpMyAdmin to "Import" the database that I exported before starting this upgrade, will it join that database with the existing one, which may have been messed up by this whole upgrade process, or will it just replace it?