HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Report to StopForumSpam

AdrianAdrian Wandering SpiritMontreal MVP

Hi all,

I know you hate spam. I hate it too. Thanks to some spare time, I was able to build this plugin to allow you to report spam in your community to StopForumSpam.

Enjoy and spread the word!

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/reportspam-plugin-1.0

p.s. This is a plugin I made in my spare time, it's not an "official" Vanilla plugin :)

Comments

• Options
    AdrianAdrian Wandering Spirit Montreal MVP

I also hope that the more Vanilla installs that use this, the better the spam protection becomes for all communities :)

• Options
    phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP
    edited November 2014

Supercool @Adrian! Decentralized Spamfighting for Vanilla. It might be a cool idea to create a honeypot for bots and your plugin. If we could understand how we could target the scripts more likely to come over a fake Vanillaforum.

For example... create a community under the Domain VanillaSupport.org and link it invisibly from VanillaForums.org. Bots might be running in while visitors are informed through a JPG that its a honeypot.

Well just a very simple idea. But i'd really like to hear your suggestions for honeypotting these bastards the best. ;)

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla
  • Options

@phreak Thanks for the feedback. I know there are things being worked on, but to be honest I'll leave that to the devs to work on it. This was a more personal passion project.

The way I see it, the more Vanilla communities I can encourage to use this plugin, the better we protect one another :) Honestly, using this, Akismet and stringent Stop Forum Spam settings (in the other plugin), will kill most spam. So thanks to everyone who spreads the word!

• Options

@phreak Vanilla already contains a honeypot feature:

$Configuration['Garden']['Forms']['HoneypotName'] = 'honeycomb';

https://github.com/vanilla/vanilla/blob/181194/library/core/class.validation.php#L531-L534

^ Would be cool to have a hook here, that could be used to report users who have filled this automatically.

• Options
    edited November 2014

@Bleistivt‌: Thanx for info. Would you mind write me a sentence about how it works. I'm always interested in functions like this.

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
  • Options

it just creates an extra field that should not be filled out. As it is a hidden field, anyway not that sophisticated.

phreak I'd disagree that a plugin that has little to do with honeypots should contain such a feature.

grep is your friend.

• Options

@x00: Thanx.

• Options
    edited November 2014

I guess this discussion got a bit off the rails. Thanks to everyone who has downloaded the plugin. I hope everyone using 2.1 starts using this plugin, and when someone complains of spam you also reference this plugin as well. The more people that use this plugin, the better it is for all the Vanilla Forums using the StopForumSpam plugin too. We have an opportunity to really reduce spam for everyone....